The Staff of Hermes

For a new boyfriend, and his first time as one, Percy thought he was doing a pretty good job. Ok, he'll admit that despite the fact they'd been fighting together for over four years, flirting with each other for the last two and fought just about every creature you could find in your standard Greek History textbook, but the second she frowned or sometimes when she said his name, his stomach dropped with the thought that he'd done something wrong. Of course, he never did - mostly. Cressida was an easy girl to please. And because she ended up staying in his apartment whenever she came to visit from camp, the two things he did that annoyed her the most was leaving the toilet seat up and chucking his school bag on the floor where she kept tripping over it. He'd eased up on leaving his clothes everywhere - he didn't want his new girlfriend that he was completely obsessed with to think that he was a total slob.

But right now, as she laid on his chest on the Great Lawn in Central Park, he was patting himself on the back.

Comfy blanket? Check.

Cressida's favourite burgers from that New York Diner on her 15th birthday - with no pickles and extra cheese? Check.

Chocolate-covered strawberries that Cressida was obsessed with? Check.

Weapons in case of a sudden Greek mythological apocalypse? Check.

He knew he was definitely winning boyfriend brownie points with this little picnic as he lazily rubbed her back while she drew pictures on his chest with her finger.

"Annabeth sent me an Iris message this morning," Cressida said after a time.

"Do we have monsters to fight or was it just girl talk?" he asked, and he could feel her cringe.

"I hate that term."

"I know."

She smacked his chest lightly as he chuckled. "To answer your question, she actually called to ask if you remembered what today was."

Percy became deathly still and that in itself gave away his answer.

Percy sighed. "How much trouble am I in?" he asked, and Cressida's lips turned into a smirk.

"I could be mean, but you're cute and you planned this picnic today, so I'll take pity on you."

"Thank the gods," he said as he kissed her hair.

"Apparently, today is important because what happened exactly a month ago?"

Percy thought about it. Today was September 18th which meant a month ago was August 18th.

"My birthday," he answered. "And another day that you took pity on me and finally said yes to being my girlfriend."

"Not that you asked the question."

"Hey, you're the one that kissed me," he defended, and she laughed again. She always looked really good when she laughed - actually, she looked good every day, but he thought she looked even more attractive when she laughed.

Today, she was wearing a white tank top with the word BLUE printed on it in blue, apparently, it was the name of some boyband she liked, along with shorts and Converses but when they'd laid down, she'd shucked her shoes off. Her dark hair was also out and flowing down her back as Percy played with it. Her charm bracelet jangled as she moved her hand, and her camp necklace was hung around her neck. Her stunning indigo eyes looking up at him.

Man, he was a lucky guy.

"Annabeth meant that today is our one-month anniversary," she explained, and Percy furrowed his brows.

"Why don't you sound so happy about it? Getting sick of me already?"

"Eh. On occasion," she teased, and Percy just squeezed her playfully. "Books said that we should be celebrating every month because every month that I put up with you is an accomplishment."