Chapter 49

"Cress, are you sure you want to do this?" Pollux questioned as his twin held open a bag that Cressida was stuffing things into.

"Of course, I'm not sure, but I have to. Annabeth would do it for me. You two would do it for me."

"But the prophecy-"

"Prophecies can have double meanings. They can be interpreted in many ways -"

"How many ways can you interpret burning in fire?" Pollux interrupted after Cressida interrupted him. 

Cressida stomped her foot on the floor as she brandished her sweater, the sleeves of it slapping against her leg. "Pollux, I'm already terrified as it is, and you are not helping," she exclaimed, and Pollux instantly felt guilty. "You think I want to be burned alive? To be scared of growing tired when I'm constantly tired, especially on a quest because it could mean I might die?"

"Hey. Hey, you're going to be just fine," Castor promised as he set his bag down and wrapped his sister into his arms.

"We're just worried for you, Cress," Pollux clarified.

"I'm worried for me too," she said as she wiped the angry and scared tears that unconsciously slid down her face.

"But," Pollux continued as he took his sister's hands. "You are our father's daughter. You are our sister. And you are too stubborn to be knocked down by the bane of Olympus. Because if anyone is going to be the bane of your existence and annoy you to death, it's going to be us."

She gave a small chuckle as she hugged him as he kissed her forehead.

"I could never be annoyed with you both...at least for a long time," she teased and they both laughed before Pollux looked over at his twin.

"You gonna join this hug or continue being a fun sucker?" Pollux asked and Castor just rolled his eyes before coming over to hug his kid brother and sister. And Cressida wished she could stay here, safely cocooned inside her brother's arms where nothing and no one could harm her - the place where she was most cared for and most loved, but nothing lasts forever.

Because she was pulled from her hug as something thumped on the door because it certainly wasn't the sound of a human fist.

"Blackjack," Cressida smiled as she opened the door to see the pegasus standing outside her door and she rubbed his snout before pressing her forehead against it. "Let me guess? Another creature needs his help?"

He neighed, which she took as a yes, seeing as she couldn't actually speak horse like Percy could. The pegasus may have pledged loyalty to Percy for saving him from Luke's ship last summer, but Cressida was the one who tended to him during the year. She couldn't understand him but they seemed to get along just fine, especially when Cressida figured out that he liked doughnuts. He also happened to love the grapes she grew. Safe to say that even when Percy was around, there was a competition for Blackjack's favourite human and Cressida was fairly certain she was winning.

"Finish packing for me? I'll take Blackjack to Percy's and be back in a little bit," she said, never really understanding why Blackjack came to her first and not Percy whenever a sea creature was in trouble, she just figured it was so he could try and guilt some snacks out of her.

"You stay out of that punk's cabin. You know the rules," Pollux warned and she rolled her eyes as Castor smacked the back of his head.

"Go ahead. We'll finish up. Stay out of sight. Polly is right though, stay out of his cabin. I'm not interested in being an uncle this young."

She gave them both a disgusted look. "Gods above, you guys suck! I take it back, Pollux was right. You two really will annoy me to death. Let's go, Blackjack."