7 | pumpkin pie.

Kenzie

"Marty, I'm staying at your house tonight."

"Kenzie, I'm glad you called. Would you like to stay over tonight?" He remarks, sarcasm lacing his tone after he answers my call.

"Ha. Ha. But yes, thank you. I'm pretty sure I just saw a rat crawl out of my bathtub and it spooked me and I no longer feel safe being here alone. Also, I'm bored," I explain, giggling as I speak the last sentence.

"Enough said. You would have heard me scream from down the street," he chuckles.
"Yeah, 'cause you scream like a girl."
"I do not."

"Whatever. Anyways, I'll be over in ten. I just need to pack some clothes because be damned if I'm wearing one of your stinky shirts again. That was worse than the rat in my bathtub."

"You're comparing me to a rat?"

"Yes. Goodbye now, I'll see you soon. Have the popcorn and M&M's ready."

"Alright, piss off."

"Bye, Marty. Love you, Marty. Make good choices, Marty."

"Bye Kenz."

I hang up the phone and place it down on my desk before packing away the last of my groceries into the drawer I store all my dry food in.
Never in my life have I had so much food in the house. I'm sure Scarlett took one of everything off the shelf and threw it into the shopping cart.

After completing my task, I pack a change of clothes and of course my lamb into my backpack and sprint in and out of my bathroom to grab my toothbrush and hairbrush as fast as possible, trying to avoid any contact with the rat that I'm not even completely sure I saw.

Ten minutes later, I've thrown on a puffer jacket, made sure the house was locked up and made my way down the street.

The rain has finally come to a halt after the downpour we had earlier, and now the sound of my boots crunching on the autumn leaves and the traffic in the distance are the only things I can hear on my quiet street.

"Hello Marty's parents," I greet the faces of Lauren and William as they open up their front door.

"Hello Marty's best friend, come in," his mother chuckles lightly, stepping aside as I wipe my feet on the doormat. "Thanks."

The wind slams the door shut just as I walk inside, startling all three of us.

"How are things going, Kenz?" William questions, brushing off the fact his heart almost jumped out of his chest.
I giggle, taking my jacket off and hanging it up on the coat rack they keep to the left of the door. "Things are going pretty well, how are you?"

"I'm well, thank you."

"I just baked a pumpkin pie if you'd like some?" Lauren offers, walking down the hall that leads to the kitchen.
"That's got to be a rhetorical question," I answer, following behind her.

I love this house. It's the definition of comfort and coziness. Of course, the people bring a lot to it but everything is decorated so flawlessly.
Lauren is always cooking too, so it always smells amazing downstairs. When you go up to Marty's room though the smell unfortunately turns into one of a teenage boy who hasn't quite grasped the fact that he needs to actually clean his space once in a while.

"You want ice cream with it?" She asks, taking out a bowl from the overhead cupboard. "Oh, yes please."

I take a seat on a stool behind the breakfast bar, putting my bag at my feet and resting my chin in my hands.