49 | out of this world.

"Oh my god, you're gonna do it," Gracie enthuses as I pick up two minions with the claw and carry them across to the front of the machine.
I giggle at the way she chants my name repeatedly until I release the button and the minions drop into the prize box.

"You did it!" She celebrates, lifting her arms up beside her ears and smiling widely as I take both the plush toys into my hands.

After the movie, Gracie and I decided to play a few games in the arcade whilst we waited for my Mom to pick us up.
The plan originally was for Gracie to drive, but she doesn't have her own car yet and both her parents needed theirs today so Scarlett was volunteered—by me—as the designated driver.

"Which one do you want? One-eyed minion, or two-eyed minion?" I ask with narrowed eyes and pursed lips.

"They have names, Kenzie," she shakes her head in a playful disappointment.
"I've never seen 'Minions', how am I supposed to know their names?"

"You've never seen 'Minions'?"

"No," I giggle, stretching my arms out in front with a toy in each hand, "which one?"
"Just to get back at you for your lack of knowledge, I'm having Bob, he's cuter. You can have Stuart," she decides, taking the two-eyed minion from me and holding it against her chest.

"Thank you," she adds in a mumble, a light smirk curling onto her lips.

"You're welcome," I chuckle.

With Scarlett still being at least fifteen minutes away, the two of us decide to go across the street and order a hot chocolate.
The days and nights are finally becoming clearer again so we made the decision to sit on a bench outside, however I soon start to regret the choice because, whilst it's not raining, the long-sleeved shirt I chose to wear was not nearly enough to keep me warm.

"Here," Gracie speaks in a soft tone, pulling her jacket off and instead placing it over my shoulders.
My cheeks heat up and my stomach swarms with butterflies at her act of kindness. "Thank you, honey," I say with a wide smile, "but aren't you going to be cold?"

"I'm okay, I have another layer on underneath this shirt," she explains, placing a quick kiss on my cheek.

When I asked her to the movies today, I had no intention of it being a date, I didn't think I was ready for it. Yet, somehow it feels like one.

Maybe it's because of the way our fingers intertwined when we were watching the film or crossing the street, or maybe it's the lingering hugs and glances at one another, or maybe it's the fact that her jacket is resting on my shoulders whilst noticeable goosebumps rise on the back of her neck, but this most certainly doesn't seem to feel like two friends just spending time together.

My eyes linger over her features one by one. Her blue orbs, her perfectly button nose, the small beauty mark on her cheek, and her lips, and then suddenly everything else seems to fade.

"Kenzie." Her breath is shaky as I place my hot chocolate down beside me and bring my warm hands up to cup her cheeks, eyes still lingering on her plump lips. For a split second, I choose to glance up at her deep ocean blue eyes, the tension evidently growing thicker before for the first time, I join our lips in a gentle kiss.

It feels as though I'm having my first kiss all over again. It's unparalleled to anything I've ever experienced before.
The feather-light, and almost uncertain touch of her hand meeting my waist as our noses bump makes my breath hitch ever so slightly before I deepen the kiss.

"I've never done that before," Gracie admits in a sheepish manner, resting her forehead on my shoulder after I feel manage to peel my lips off of hers.

"You've never kissed anyone?" I question with a gentle smile, brushing my fingers through her thick, wavy cherry red hair.

She shakes her head.

"Was it okay then? That I kissed you?" I hesitate, suddenly anxious that she may have not wanted me to be her first.

"It was more than okay. In fact," she lifts her head from my shoulder, "it was out of this world. I want to do it again."

So we do, and only stop when I get a message come through from Scarlett, informing me that she's parked further down the street and is waiting for us.

"Wanna know something?" Gracie asks, once again intertwining our fingers and we head to the car.

"Of course."

"I've been pining after you since you first came to Grindhouse. I remember the exact date I first saw you there," she admits with a giggle, a heat rushing to my face.

__

The first couple of days back at school were an adjustment. To be completely honest, it almost felt like I was the new kid coming in during the middle of a semester. Looks of judgement were given from a surprising number of people, and despite having tutoring everyday in rehab, I still have an overwhelming amount of catching up to do.

In fact, I get the impression that I might have to do summer school because I don't think I'm going to get what I need to get done to complete sophomore year.

A constant anxiety would follow me every time I stepped out into the hallway, or a class I knew I shared with Oliver, but he was nowhere to be seen.
Eventually, curiosity got the better of me so I asked one of his friends if they knew where he was and apparently, he's just got the flu.

I don't exactly believe that's the truth, at least not the whole truth, but—and to put it in the most blunt was possible—at least I know he's not dead.

It's Wednesday today and being my day off, I spent my morning in the kitchen baking an absurd amount of food whilst I tried not to panic or spiral over certain circumstances that have come to pass, especially in the last few days.

Ryan took the day off work to stay at home with me, and I'm so grateful he did because I think today is one of those days where everything is a little bit more difficult. Specifically the small things, like getting out of bed, eating a good breakfast, changing into something other than a pair of pyjamas and not having a meltdown at the smallest of inconveniences.

"Hey, would you mind, uh," I take a deep breath and tuck my hair behind my eyes as I enter the living room, "would you mind taking me to a meeting, please? There's one that starts in fifteen minutes and it's only down the street from my school."

"Of course," he nods, a gentle smile resting on his lips as he stands up from the couch, "just give me a few to freshen up and we can head off."

"Thank you," I return the smile.

Whilst he uses the bathroom, I make sure to grab my phone and anything I can possibly think I would need before throwing on the jacket Gracie leant me on Sunday. There's a small hot chocolate stain on the sleeve, but I haven't exactly wanted to wash it because I like the smell of her perfume.

After doing a quick check of my hair in the full length mirror just off the entrance of the house, I gently rest my hand over my lower stomach and let out a shaky breath.

I don't realise Ryan has come into the space until I hear the sound of his keys rattling. "Have you taken the test?" He asks, opening up the front door as I look back at him through the mirror.

"Mhm."

__

After arriving at the meeting, I found myself a chair and kept to myself until the rest of the group gathered around. I don't particularly have any intention of sharing today. It's only my second time attending AA outside of rehab and due to the change of location and time of day, nobody here is familiar.

"Hey, we're only just about to get started. You can come in," the blonde woman leading the meeting calls out, prompting me to follow her gaze over to the entrance of the room.

I take back what I said. There's one familiar face.

________
My brain feels so fried today, so I excuse the lazy writing in some parts of this chapter. Here's a dinosaur to make up for it 🦕

Final chapter will be out on Friday !!