25 | whiskey and cigarettes.

Kenzie

After the events of last night, I woke up with possibly the worst headache of my entire life. Although, I'm almost certain I'm more hungover from crying than I am the bottle of whiskey I consumed.

Scarlett was still asleep beside me when I peeled myself out of bed and took myself into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I needed a shower too, but was in desperate need of coffee and ibuprofen first.

I hesitated a little once I reached the bottom of the stairs because I could see that Scarlett's Mom was in the kitchen. I can imagine I did not leave a great first impression and I don't particularly want her to be mad at me.
Besides, I don't feel as though I'm in the most chatty mood this morning. So, I go to quietly step backwards up the stairs, only I bang the back of my ankle and hiss at the sharp pain which of course, gets Melanie's attention.

"Kenzie? You alright?" She questions, coming out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee in hand.

"Yeah, sorry. I just banged my ankle," I admit, giggling ever so awkwardly.

"Don't be sorry," she tells me, "are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," I nod, curling my lips into a timid smile.

"Okay," she returns the smile. "Would like a coffee, or something to eat?"

She's seen me now so it would be obvious I was avoiding her if I took off upstairs when I clearly came down for something, which is why I take her up on the offer, despite my raging anxiety. "Uh, sure. A coffee would be nice."

After a nod, I follow her into the kitchen and before I sit myself down on one of the stools, I search through the cupboards to hopefully find the one where the medicine is kept.

"Can I help you find something?" Melanie offers as she very graciously gets started on brewing me a cup of coffee.
"I'm just looking for some ibuprofen or aspirin," I say, reaching up on my toes to the overhead cupboards.

"Ah, it's in here," she informs me, pulling out one of the drawers on the kitchen island.
"Oh, thank you."

It's fairly quiet once I've taken the medication and she finishes up on her task. The silence surprisingly doesn't feel all that awkward either, or maybe I'm just too tired to notice.

"So, Scarlett tells me you like your art?" Melanie states, sliding a fresh cup of coffee across the island as she leans over on her elbows.

"Thank you, and yes. I do. I was going to apply to a few Art Schools, and then I wasn't, but now I am again because my teacher got them to extend the deadlines for me which was really nice of her," I ramble, my fingers wrapping around the hot mug as I bring it up to my mouth.

"I'm glad," she speaks genuinely as take a sip of my beverage.

"That's good coffee," I declare, eyes widening ever so slightly at the smooth texture. "You make it better than Scarlett does."

"Hey, I heard that."

At the sound of her voice, I turn my head around to entry of the kitchen. Scarlett has a playful glare in her eyes before she makes her way over to me with a warm smile. "Morning, Kenz."

"Morning," I reply, wrapping an arm around her waist as she pulls me into her side as much as humanly possible whilst I'm still seated.
"How are you feeling?" Her tone has lowered and softened before she presses her lips against the top of my head.
"I'm okay," I shrug, "just have a headache."
"I'm not surprised," she answers with her infamous raised eyebrow, "did you take any medicine?"
"Yeah, I took some ibuprofen."