18 | there for you.

The last three days have left me feeling as though nothing is real anymore. I'm not aware enough of the outside world to know the difference between what actually happened and what was just in my head.

I woke up this morning feeling no different, but Scarlett came knocking at the door of my new bedroom, in my new foster home at eight-thirty. Usually, I'd be up and out by that time but I haven't left my bed since I arrived here Tuesday night. I haven't unpacked, showered or even changed my clothes.

I didn't know it was possible to grieve the loss of two people so much when they never showed you what it meant to be loved, but I've spent the last seventy-two hours crying or staring at a wall with an ache in my heart that is indescribable. It hurts, so much.

My foster parents Sam and Ryan have been in and out every hour or two to check in on me and bring me food or medicine to get my fever under control but I've felt to sick to eat anything and too tired to sit up and take the ibuprofen. I hadn't even had it in me to answer the numerous calls or messages Scarlett had left me.

I knew she knew I was as okay as I can be because Sam gave her his contact details and promised to keep her updated. I suppose that's why Scarlett came over and practically forced me out of bed this morning, because Sam and Ryan had tried everything to get me to eat or change or at least have a glass of water but nothing worked.

After a long twenty minutes without saying a word, Scarlett finally managed to get me to agree to brush my teeth and get dressed into something other than a pair of pyjamas that are too short in the sleeves. By some miracle even got me to come out to breakfast with her like we would on a typical Saturday morning.

Despite the enormous effort to not cry every two minutes, the normality that comes with being seated at my usual table in the Grindhouse Café is good for me. I think.

"Sweetheart." I'm dragged out of my daze by the wave of Scarlett's hand in front of my face. I blink a few times before focusing my attention on her. It's the third time I've zoned out in the five minutes we've been here.
"Sorry."

"No, don't apologise," she speaks in a gentle yet stern manner. "What would you like to eat?"

"I'll have whatever you're having," I say quietly, taking a deep breath as I lean back in my chair and pull the sleeve of my jacket over my wrists.

"I'm having pancakes and from what I remember, you don't like them," she says, quirking an eyebrow.

"Um...waffles then," I answer blankly.

"Alright. Do you want coffee as well?" She offers, keeping the same calming tone she's had all morning.

I nod.

I really do hope she knows that I'm not trying to be rude by not speaking much at all. It just takes so much energy which is something I'm severely lacking from my inability to sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time.
Hopefully the coffee provides me with enough of a boost to get through the morning.

Our order is taken by Gracie as per usual, and I send her a very small and quick smile when she says; Hello. It's all I can manage. Thankfully, she doesn't try to make conversation. That is until she comes back with our food.

"How was your week?" She asks me, placing the plate of waffles down in front of me.

I'm frustrated and equally embarrassed at the fact that one simple question was all it took for a tear to slip down my cheek which I quickly wipe away with my sleeve.

Turning my gaze to Scarlett, I silently beg for her to give an answer for me because I know the second I try to speak I will cry again and I'm so tired of crying.

"It's uh, been a hard week," she informs Gracie. "Oh, I'm sorry. I hope you're feeling better soon," she speaks in a gentle manner. I manage to send her another small smile in response.

I take in a deep breath once she got back to work and I get started on my meal. It's the first real thing I've eaten since my breakfast on Tuesday morning.

Picking up on the fact that I'm not overly talkative, we eat in silence. Well, as much of a silence as you can get whilst sitting in a café at ten o'clock on a Saturday morning. In fact, the piercing sound of the toddler screaming into his mothers ear pretty much blocked out the noise of everything and everyone else.

"Can you come to the funeral tomorrow?" I question quietly after taking the last bite of my waffles. Trying to help organise a service for my parents is about the only productive thing I've done and honestly, all I did was find a location for it.

"Of course," she agrees with a sad smile resting on her lips.

"Thanks. I don't think that many people are coming and there still has to be police protection, but my Mom's brother and sister will be there and I think my Dad's parents and brother are coming too," I explain, keeping my voice lowered. It's shaky too as I try to keep my eyes from tearing up.

Initially, I didn't know whether or not they were going to have a funeral, let alone if I'd actually go. I've spent so much of my life being hurt by my parents but as hard as I tried not to, I still loved them.
I want to be able to say goodbye, regardless of the fact that their caskets are going to be empty.

"I think I'm going to give a speech, or a eulogy or whatever it's called but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. It might be too much," I add.

Scarlett responds with a subtle nod, "whatever you decide, I'll be there for you."

With a small smile, I thank her and focus my gaze down to my lap. I hate that I couldn't convince whoever it was I needed to convince to let me stay with Scarlett. Truthfully, I didn't understand it. I'm closer to her biologically than anybody and I made it very obvious I wanted to live with her. I think I even cussed at the social worker they had to get involved.

"Why can't I legally stay with you?" I ask, my voice at a normal volume for the first time in days. "It doesn't make sense."

"Because I lost all custodial rights over you the moment I put you up for adoption, sweetheart. I assure you, if I could take you in then there would be no hesitation, but legally speaking, I have as much of a right as a stranger would," she explains, a sorrowful expression on her face as she lightly purses her lips together.

"I will work on changing it though, I promise," she adds.

________
Hii! I hope you're all having a lovely week :)
Here's a taco for good luck 🌮