11 | pancake.

"Is it okay that I'm calling you?" My question is asked with hesitancy. I feel unsure of myself, calling Scarlett for the first time. We've only ever spoken over text. In person too of course, but never on a call.  I usually tend to avoid them.

"Of course, Kenzie. Everything okay? Aren't you supposed to be in school right now?" She responds. There's a lot of street noise in the background. Cars beeping, sirens blaring and the sound of construction.

"Oh, yeah. I am. In school that is. I just have a free period," I explain.

"Ah okay. What's up?"

"Uh, nothing really. Just studying," I shrug a shoulder, bouncing my knees underneath the desk that sits to the farthest side of the empty classroom.

"And you called in the middle of your study to...?" She queries. It isn't said in any particular way that could possibly make me feel bad for interrupting what I assume is a busy day, but I become aware of the fact I don't know how to bring up the subject that initiated my calling her.

"I don't know," I say, lowering my gaze back to the Math work spread across the desk and flicking my pen repeatedly in my right hand.
"You don't know?"

"No. Sorry for bothering you. I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing. See you Saturday," I speak fast, hanging the phone up before she has the chance to respond.

A minute later my phone starts vibrating and Scarlett's contact pops up on the screen.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Got your period yet?" She asks knowingly. I'm not surprised she figured it out. I'm not very good at this whole subtlety thing.

"Nope," I breathe, "it's nearly two weeks overdue and I'm so scared. I don't know what to do."

"Do you have any pregnancy tests you can take at home, sweetheart?"

"No. I was worried my parents would find them so I haven't bought any," I explain quietly, now using my pen to scribble on a scrap piece of paper.
"Alright, well how about...if you'd like, I could pick you up from school today and take you to the store to get a test, and then afterwards you're welcome to come back to my house and take it there if you're not comfortable doing it at home. That way I will be with you too, whatever the outcome," she suggests.

"You'd really do that? I mean, I don't want to interrupt your afternoon," I say.
"Nonsense. It'll be my pleasure, Kenz. What time do you finish?"
"Three, but I have Politics last period and my teacher always runs late so probably more like ten past."

"Alright, I'll see you this afternoon, babe."

"Thank you. See you soon."

The rest of my school day dragged on. It felt like the longest four hours of my entire life. But, when I walked out the doors just before quarter past three a sense of even more dread came over me. I'm excited to see Scarlett again, don't get me wrong, but the knowledge that in about an hours time I could find out I have a baby growing inside me is beyond frightening.

Scarlett texted me whereabouts she'd parked and it wasn't hard to spot her car. It's the only one with completely tinted windows.

"Hi," I send a small smile, climbing into the passengers side.
"Hey, Kenz."
"Thank you for picking me up."
"Of course. How are you feeling?" She questions in a gentle manner as I buckle up my seatbelt.
"I'm nervous," I admit, taking a deep breath as I look to her. She nods in acknowledgement, placing a reassuring hand my shoulder.

When we arrive at the store, my hand is clasped in Scarlett's as I follow closely behind her through the aisles. Due to the time of the day, there's a few school kids around which only makes me want to hide away more but thankfully, they're nobody I know.