39 | open your eyes.

"Miss Lowan, what about you?"
My eyes snap open as I lift my head from my desk at the sound of my Humanities teacher saying my name.

"What about me?" My face falls into a frown, feeling slightly disoriented after almost dozing off.

"Do you know the answer?" He queries, walking out from behind his desk and over to mine.

"The answer to what?"

With a breathy sigh, he crosses his arms over his chest and raises both his eyebrows. "Have you been paying any attention at all?"

"To class?"

"Alright, Miss Lowan," he starts, his tone shifting to one more serious, "I understand you might be tired, but my class is not the place to be taking naps. I've already told you three times to focus on your work and if I have to tell you once more, you'll be getting a detention. Understood?"

"Yes," I answer quietly with a single nod.

"Good," he says.
Moments later he's back at the front of the classroom, continuing on with his lesson as I once again slump my head against my desk and begin to doze off.

I'm unsure how long I'm out for, but I get startled by a detention slip being slammed onto my desk with a few other sheets of paper. I assume it's the worksheet everyone else is in the middle of completing.

"Thirty minutes is a bit excessive," I mumble, rolling my eyes as I slip it into the front pocket of my backpack.
"Get on with your work, Miss Lowan," he orders.

Once he's sitting at his desk, I lean forward over mine and tap Asha on the shoulder. "Psst."

She turns to face me. "Yeah?"

"Mr Clean has a stick up his ass today, don't you think?"

The sound of quiet giggling erupts from a few other students in the class as I watch Asha trying to withhold herself from joining them.
Maybe I spoke a little too loudly, but at least I got the pleasure of making other people laugh.

Except Mr Sanders. He looks very unimpressed.

"Miss Lowan, grab your bag and come with me please," he demands, standing up from his seat.

I oblige and do the same, throwing my backpack over my shoulder and holding the worksheets between my hands.

"I'm so glad I'm way too high to care about the trouble I'm about to get in," I tell Asha with a half-hearted chuckle.

Her face drops into a frown, "What?"

"I said, I'm so glad I'm way too high to care about the trouble I'm about to get in," I repeat, making my way up to Mr Sanders.

"Please continue on with your work, I'll be back in a few," he informs the class as he guides me out and through the hallway.

"Falling asleep, insulting a teacher, and coming to class high? You'll be lucky if you only get suspended for the rest of the week," he observes as I ponder on how schools think getting suspended is 'punishment'. Most teenagers would love to not be allowed to come to school for a few days.

We walk into the Reception area whilst I wait for the Principal and am told to take a seat, only they're taken by other students so I walk across the room and drag my back down the wall until my butt reaches the floor.

"Miss Lowan, get up off the ground. I'll get you a chair," Mr Sanders says.
I roll my eyes and begrudgingly do as I'm told before reaching for a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup from the reception desk.

I'm instantly made to regret it when I take a bite and start gagging, the strong smell of it making me incredibly nauseous. I used to love these chocolates, but I haven't had them in years so my taste buds have likely changed since. Especially now that my diet consists of more than just two minutes noodles.