13 | hot chocolate.

"I don't know if it's still open," I explain as the two of us walk down the street on which my favourite café is located. It's a quarter to seven and after we'd finished dinner, we decided to get hot chocolate on the way back to my house. Not that Grindhouse is necessarily on the way, but it's become our spot over the last month so its only fitting we make the detour.

"It's unlocked," Scarlett shrugs, swinging the squeaky glass door open. I follow in behind her to realise the only two people in the building are Gracie and another brunette whom of which I've never seen working here before.

The café has a different energy at this time of day. The warm lights are dimmed, there's acoustic music playing gently over the speakers and the space feels a lot larger when it's not packed with dozens on New Yorkers that seem to never not be in a rush to get somewhere.

"Oh sorry, we closed at six-thirty," the brunette waitress announces, resting the cloth she was holding on the counter as she leans on the heels of her hands.

Gracie, who's back was previously to us, whips her head around and smiles lightly. "Hi."

"Hi. Sorry, we thought you were still open," I explain, giggling ever so awkwardly as I remain by Scarlett's side, standing still near the entrance.
"Oh, it's no problem. What were you after? I might be able to whip it up for you," she graciously offers.

"You don't have to do that," Scarlett chimes in.

"It's fine, I really don't mind."

"We were just after hot chocolates, but it's really okay. We can go somewhere else," I declare.

"That's alright. They're easy to make. Give me three minutes and they'll be ready."

"Gracie, I just cleaned the machine," the brunette speaks, tilting her head in annoyance. "I'll clean it again then, I don't mind. You can go back to your dorm, I'll close up."

Scarlett and I give each other a look, sensing some slight tension between them. "We should have gone somewhere else," I whisper. She agrees with a nod and a quiet chuckle.

"Fine. I'll see you tomorrow then," she mumbles.

"Bye, Avery," Gracie responds, a cheeky smile on her lips.

At that, the brunette rids herself of her apron and makes her way out to the back of the café with a huff.

"You have siblings?" My favourite waitress asks as she begins making our drinks.
"Nope," I half-heartedly giggle, making my way up to the counter with Scarlett. "Is she your sister?"

"Yep. She's been in a mood all week. Her boyfriend broke up with her and she has college exams coming up, so understandably she's a little stressed," she informs me.

"Gracie! You do not tell a stranger that I got dumped!" Avery raises her voice from the back room.
"It's Kenzie! She's not a stranger!"

"Yes, but I don't know who Kenzie is," Avery adds, coming back out with a tote bag on her shoulder and a stack of college textbooks in her arms. "Oh wait, is this the Kenzie I overheard you talking to Dad about?"

Without a word, Gracie nods as she keeps herself focused on not spilling the milk she's in the middle of frothing.

"My sister thinks you're pretty," Avery tells me with a teasing grin, earning a slap on the arm from Gracie who quickly looks back at me, her face a shade of pink.

I think my cheeks turn a little pink too. Of course the thought has crossed my mind; Gracie is pretty. An Anne Hathaway kind of pretty, expect with cherry red hair and big blue eyes, and yes, I used to catch myself staring at her often before I started having my breakfasts with Scarlett when I had to consciously choose not to.

Speaking of Scarlett, I don't even dare to look at her right now. She'd probably tease me for my rosy cheeks and subtle smile.

The next couple of minutes are spent in a mildly uncomfortable atmosphere. Avery left, Gracie was silent, evidently slightly embarrassed as she finished up making our hot chocolates, and Scarlett and I made small talk in attempt to fill the awkward silence.

I wasn't particularly sure whether or not I was meant to respond to Avery's statement, and if I was meant to, I had know idea how.

'I think your sister's pretty too'? No way do I have the boldness or courage to say that in front of the woman who carried me for nine months. If it was just Gracie and I, than maybe, but that wasn't the case.

Eventually the long two minutes pass and Scarlett and I are finally back out on the street with a warm drink in our hands. "I think that's the only time I've regretted going in there," I admit.

"I don't. You both went so red, it was quite the entertainment." Her infamous smirk rests on her mouth as she antagonises me just as though Marty would.

"I did not go red."

"Okay." It's obvious she doesn't agree, but I respect that she doesn't push it any further. Four hours ago I completely expected that I might be pregnant. I'm not in the mindset to be teased about the fact I blushed when somebody gave me a compliment.

__

Scarlett dropped me off a few houses down from mine due to the lack of parking space in our street. The sense of comfort, security and peace I have after seeing her is quickly forgotten the second I step in the front door to see my parents frantically dragging their suitcases downstairs. Both of their faces are black and blue. It's not the first time I've seen them covered in bruises, but I was told to never ask about it.

"What's going on?" I frown, making no effort to stop the wind from slamming the door shut in attempt to make my voice heard.

"Oh good, you're home. You father and I have a last minute work trip. Our flight's in an hour," she gives a very brief explanation, limping as she drags the suitcase over to the front door where I'm still stood.

"Are you sure you're okay to fly? Where are you even going? When will you be back?" I fire.

"We're fine. We're going to Arizona and shouldn't be gone longer than a week. If anyone comes asking after us, do not give them any information."

"Why would someone come asking after you?"

My question gets no response and before I know it, they're out the door and I'm left alone, again, in a home that has not heating, not food and has not had hot water for a week.

My own company is never something I'm opposed to. I'm a loner majority of the time, expect for the days I'm with Marty or Scarlett. But sometimes, the emptiness, coldness and lack of love in the place I'm supposed to call home feels as though it might cripple me.