8 | come on, barbie.

I stare at my reflection in the bathroom mirror, trying to figure out what my outfit was missing. After very little contemplation, I decided to dress up as Barbie tonight for Asha's Halloween party. She's the girl Marty hasn't stopped talking about all week.

My 'costume' so far consists of hot pink bootcut jeans that I managed to find at a thrift store for no more than five dollars, a matching pink tank top with a V neckline and a collar, and a pair of white boots that I've had sitting in the back of my closet since I bought them last year. It was an easy outfit to put together which was the deciding factor in my decision to go as Barbie.

"I need a headband," I decide, walking out of the bathroom and down the hall to my bedroom.

After searching through my closet, I find a white headband that used to be a part of my elementary school uniform. I went to a private school before I moved to Jersey City and being able to wear this headband was my favourite thing about getting an education back then. I loved it.

It takes a little bit of fiddling in the bathroom mirror to get it to sit right without accentuating the size of my forehead, but I manage to get it in a way so my curtain bangs—that I impulsively cut myself earlier this week—are pulled in front of the headband and the rest of my hair sits behind it.

With a satisfactory smile resting on my lips, I take myself back to my bedroom, pick up my phone from my desk and sit myself down on my bed before I have to leave.

I smile when I see a new message from Scarlett pop up on my screen.

Scarlett:
Hi Kenzie, just checking in :)
Are you still up for breakfast tomorrow?

Me:
Hi! Yes, absolutely. Would we be able to meet at 10 instead of 9 though? I'm going to a party tonight and won't be home until late and might need a little more  of a sleep in the morning.

Just as I click send, a message from my best friend comes through.

Marty 🦓:
My parents don't trust me not to drink, so Dad's gonna drive us if you want to come over whenever you're ready!

Me:
Alright, I'll be over in 10ish then x

After replying, I go back to my previous conversation.

Scarlett:
Of course! Halloween party I'm presuming?

Me:
Thank you, and yep!

Scarlett:
Have fun, and please stay safe!

Me:
I will :)

With a slight smile, I lock my phone, grab a coat and my keys before making my way downstairs.
As much as I dreaded it, I did ask my parents about this party because it was the right thing to do. If they said no I most likely would have snuck out anyways, but much to my surprise they said yes.

Well, not technically.

They said I could do 'whatever the hell I wanted' because they 'couldn't give a shit' which was as good a yes.

"I'm going now, I might stay at my friends house depending how late it gets," I explain to my Mom as she scans through her mail.
"Whatever. Don't care," she mumbles before slamming the paper down onto the table and storming past me and upstairs.