RIP Our Futures

Ever since the drunken admission to physical attraction, Finnick and Ellie had been dating, in a sorts. They could never act like it in public, because of their appeal to people at the Capitol. The 74th hunger games had been monumental. There had been two winners, from district 12. Whatever cream Ellie sent to Katniss must have had something in it to make the girl lose her mind, because Snow was going to be after her for such an obvious act of defiance. 

Today was the day before the third quarter quell, 75 years of hunger games, and the condition was being read at noon. The first time, people voted who was reaped. The second, twice as many tributes were chosen. 

Ellie had a bad feeling about this year, something about Katniss and her act of rebellion made her fear the worst. 

Finnick and Ellie sat on their couch and turned on the tv, Ellie cuddling up into Finnick's side, him being able to feel how fast her heart was beating.

He kissed her cheek and grabbed her hand, "It's okay, Ellie."

The Capitol anthem played on the tv and an announcement was made by President Snow. The same one as every year, and it made Ellie sick to her stomach.

 When time came for the announcement, he reached his hand into the box and pulled out the envelope, opening it, then reading, "On the 75th anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overpower the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors."

Ellie cried out, screaming as loud as she could. Finnick quickly engulfed her in a hug, tears falling down his face, as well. Between the two of them, there was a fifty percent chance one of them was going to be reaped, and twenty five percent chance they would both be reaped.

Finnick held onto his girlfriend tightly, rocking her back and forth, before grabbing her face, "Ellie, you have to promise me," his voice broke, "promise me you won't volunteer if I get picked." 

Another thing about the quarter quell was that boys were always picked first. Just another way to stir up the routine and peace in a district.

"I-" She started, but couldn't make herself finish.

"God dammit!" He shook her, raising his voice, "Promise me!"

Ellie cried louder, "I promise!" 

She didn't even realize the words slipped out. It was almost a natural response, like fight or flight, or your heart racing when you hear a loud noise. She knew that if she was not reaped, she would not keep her promise. She could not let Mags go back into the arena. 

Mags wasn't doing well. She was getting old and would be lucky to last a day. 

Ellie knew she couldn't force herself to watch not only the love of her life die, but also her mentor. 

Finnick had stopped crying after Ellie promised him she would not volunteer, but Ellie did not. Finnick held her for hours, soaking in every last moment, knowing it could very well be their last. Sometime, within the few hours, she had fallen asleep. 

Finnick got up and carried her upstairs, not even bothering to place her in her own room. He took her straight to his bed, laid down with her, and held her like the world was about to end.

___________----------___________

The next morning was rather grim. Both got ready in their fanciest outfits and cleaned up nice. Neither ate breakfast, neither spoke a word. On their way out the door, Finnick gently kissed Ellie on the lips, slowly and carefully, like he wouldn't see her again.

"I love you, Ellie." He hugged her close, taking the moment in.

Ellie tried to keep any tears from spilling over, "I love you, too."

They went their separate ways, Ellie towards the girls section, Finnick towards the boys. Of course, this looked very scarce with only two victors on both sides.

Ellie slipped next to Mags, grabbing onto her hand and helping her stand upright.

Finnick was reaped first. Ellie's heart dropped straight into her stomach. Her grip tightened on Mag's hand. She knew the odds, and they were never in their favor, but it didn't make it hurt any less.

Next, Ellie was called. Mags stepped forward, ready to volunteer for the girl, but Ellie refused.

"Don't, Mags." She whispered to the older woman, "I have to do this."

Mags face dropped, but she understood, nodded, and let the girl walk up to the stage.

"Let's give it up for district 4's tributes!" The woman from the Capitol said. 

It has been the same woman every year Ellie had been alive, but she didn't bother to learn the lady's name. 

"Now," She smiled in the camera, "Shake hands!"

Finnick and Ellie grabbed each other's hand, and just by the grip he had on her hand, she could tell he was angry. Ellie knew he would be, but she didn't break her promise. Fate just wasn't in her favor.

They were quickly rushed to the train, not allowed to say goodbye. Of course, the only person either of them would have said goodbye to was Mags, but it still hurt. 

They were sat down at the dining room table on the train, with the other male victor, Scott. Due to Mags being so sickly, she couldn't make it this year. 

"So," Scott sighed, "The odds weren't quite in you two's favor, huh?"

Ellie gets that he was trying to lighten the mood, but she was once again on a train to her certain death, she needed a little time to process. 

Finnick just stared at the table, not moving his head, not moving to eat anything, and not replying.

Scott spoke up again, "Finnick, your old strategy could work for these games. Ellie, not so much." He warned, "These are all skilled killers, try to outsmart them and you'll be dead in the first ten minutes."

A loud slam was heard when Finnick stabbed his knife into the table, causing Ellie and everyone else to jump in surprise. He then got up and sped off, slamming his door behind him.

Ellie placed her napkin back on the table and stood up, "I'll deal with that." She mumbled, taking off after the drama king.

She walked down the hall until she reached the bedroom compartments, knocking on his door before opening it, to see him standing with his face in his hands.

"Finn?" She asked, but before she could say anything else, he blew up on her.

"What the fuck, Ellie!" He yelled, causing her to step back to put distance in between them, "You promised me!"

Ellie could count the amount of times that Finnick yelled at her on one hand, but none of them amounted to the anger she knew he had in this moment, the fear she could see in his eyes.

"No," She stated firmly, "I said I wouldn't volunteer."

Finnick walked up to her, and grabbed her arm tightly, pulling her closer to him, his voice dangerously low, "Would you have let Mags volunteer if I hadn't been reaped?"

The girl stayed silent. She had never thought about it, because it never came to it. Her eyes started to water, "I couldn't just let you die!" She avoided the question.

"Well guess what, Ellie?" He screamed, "Now we're both gonna die!"

He shoved her arm away, pacing his room stressed. Ellie backed away, allowing her body to rack with sobs. Hearing her cry, Finnick walked back and reached for her, but Ellie flinched away from his touch, "Fuck, Ellie," he mumbled under his breath, "I'm sorry." He apologized, "I didn't mean to scare you."

His apology just made her cry harder, "I can't, Finn." She looked at him, "I can't live without you."

He walked over and picked her up, her legs wrapping around his waist as he held her as tight as he could, "I know, baby. I know."