Calm Before the Storm

A few days had passed since Ellie's initial return, and it was safe to say that Finnick was right. She was not in need of antipsychotics or a long-term hospital stay. Ellie was doing great with Finnick. In fact, she was acting more and more like her old self each day. Finnick was a little worried she was repressing her feelings, but Ellie assured him that was not the case.

Each and every day, she was remembering more and more real memories. She was able to distinguish between the real and the fake, with almost perfect accuracy. She noticed that her fake memories tended to have a "black border" of sorts around them, like she was watching a movie on a tv screen. Ever since she figured it out, it made her more rational, logical, and less prone to breaking down.

Ellie had forgiven Katniss, and so had Finnick. He had also apologized to her for overacting, but only because Ellie asked him to. Ellie could not imagine how hard it was for the person on the other end of their situation. 

She had visited Peeta once or twice herself but was distressed by his state. He kept trying to convince Ellie that she was wrong to trust Finnick again, and it was hindering her progress, so she mostly supported him from a distance.

Ellie and Finnick walked down the hall together, hand in hand. They headed towards Coin's office, where they were apparently desperately needed.

"Do you know what this is about?" Ellie asked Finnick.

Finnick shook his head, "No, but to be honest, I don't think it will be anything good."

The two open the doors to her office and step in. Standing around a big table with 3D projections on it was Haymitch, Plutarch, and Coin.

"Good afternoon," Coin greeted, "Come on over."

The couple got closer to the table, standing directly across from Coin.

"Good to see you back up and on your feet, Ellie." Plutarch smiled.

Ellie nodded back, "Thanks."

The group stared at each other for a moment in silence. 

"So?" Ellie asked, "Why are we here?"

"Oh, yes," Coin laughed it off, "Of course."

She clicked a button on a remote control, an image showing on the wall. It was Katniss. She was off somewhere in one of the districts.

"Look like we have a runaway." Finnick droned.

Haymitch raised his glass as to cheers to that statement, "Yes, we do."

"Katniss may be smart," Plutarch started, "but not as smart as she thinks she is. She is taking a team to the Capitol to try and kill Snow."

"Preach." Ellie praised.

Finnick's grip on Ellie's hand tightened, like he realized something she didn't, "And that affects us how?"

"We need you two to go with her," Coin ordered, "keep her alive. Make sure she doesn't get herself killed or do anything too crazy. She is a figurehead. If she fails, so does the rebellion."

"When?" Ellie asked.

At the same time, Finnick blurted out, "No!"

Ellie looked at him, confused. She was not sure why he would not want to help their friend, or at least the revolution.

Haymitch's eyes widened in entertainment, as if he fed off disagreements.

Ellie repeated herself, "I'm in."

"No," Finnick gritted through his teeth, "She is not."

Coin looked at the two and tried to sell it to the boy, "Look, this could be the pivot of the rebellion. This could be the last fight we ever need to have."