Last Call

Ellie took a deep breath and moved up a spot in line. She was next. Finnick stood behind her, both of his hands hoovering right next to her hips.

To say Ellie's dress was beautiful would be an understatement. Apparently, Cinna had made it, and she was impressed with his work. It was a gorgeous light blue, with a frilled bottom and lots of sparkles. The straps sat on the edge of her shoulders, and it was cut perfectly near her chest. It didn't show too much or too little. 

Finnick had a pirate-ish looking outfit on. His hair was more tamed than usual, his cheekbones were defined. It made Ellie realize just how attractive he was.

"Come on, Dear." A woman behind the stage grabbed her arm, "You're up."

Panicked, she looked back at Finnick, who gave her a grin and a reassuring nod. 

"Everyone welcome back to the stage," Caesar rumbled, "The winner of the 71st hunger games, Elowyn Blackburn!"

The crowd went wild as she tried to gracefully walk on the stage. She had become a fair fan favorite over the past 4 years due to the sheer amount of sex work Snow made her do. She was one of the only victors who entertained both sides of the audience, which made her wanted twice the amount as most of the others. 

Caesar pulled her into a hug, placing his hand on her lower back, then turning her towards the audience. 

"So tell us, Elowyn," he grinned, "How does it feel to be back at the Capitol?"

Ellie faked a smile and spoke clearly and confidently, "It was a little unexpected, but I am still just as amazed with the food and beauty of the Capitol after all these years."

"Oh," Caesar laughed out, "Still such a charmer!" He motioned towards the seats behind them, "Please, sit!"

Looking at the audience, Ellie was disgusted. They all seemed to quite literally be on the edge of their seats, thrilled by the idea she was going to probably die. Again.

"Elowyn," Caesar grabbed the girls hand, making Ellie want to pull away, but she knew she couldn't, "Your score was an 11 this year, up 5 points. How did you do it?" He then joked, "Been training behind our backs?" The audience laughed out at the seemingly unfunny suggestion.

She forced a giggle, "Of course not, Caesar, just found my talents, that's all."

"Tell me about your dress!" Caesar enthused, pointing at her stiff costume.

"The designers really outdid themselves," Ellie complimented, "It really does truly capture who I am."

"Indeed it does." He agreed, "How does it feel?" He ran his hand down the bottom of the dress, feeling the rough netting of the dress.

"A little stiff." She answered, honestly, causing everyone to laugh.

Caeser gently smacked her leg, shaking his head at the viewers, before all the sudden turning serious, "Last games, you only killed one person." He looked at the girl closely, "Are you going to join the killing game, this time, to defend yourself?"

Ellie looked out at the audience, up in the President's box, then looked him dead in the eye, her stare hardening, "It takes nothing to join the crowd," she spoke, "but it takes everything to stand alone."

Caesar froze for a moment, not knowing how to respond, or truly understanding the meaning of her words. He quickly composed himself, then grabbed Ellie's hand and stood up with her, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Elowyn Blackburn of district 4!"

The crowd roared, and as she looked into it, Ellie took note of the fact she recognized majority of the people sitting there. It made her feel unsettled, so she turned her back to the people as she walked to stand at the back of the stage, where the previously interviewed tributes were standing.