Haunted

"Prim!" Katniss screamed, then took off into the forest after the sound. She gave no time for logic, just left.

"No!" Finnick called after her, "Katniss! Katniss, wait!" 

When he noticed she wasn't coming back, he turned to the group and pointed at them, "Stay here, do not move."

Johanna saluted, mocking his authority, even though she listened.

Ellie thought it through. They were in a new sector, one they did not know the threat of. Could it be something to due with worst fears? Something psychological? She was not sure.

She just waited like Finnick told her.

Finnick, on the other hand, was running after Katniss, calling for her. 

"Prim!" Katniss screamed over and over, Finnick trying as hard as he could to keep up with the agile teenager. 

Katniss stopped in a clearing, raising her bow and arrow, the shot the bird, causing the screams to cease. 

"Katniss!" Finnick caught up to her, stopped running, and put his hands on his knees. He was out of breath, "You okay?"

The two stared at each other for a moment, before someone new started to scream.

"Finnick!" Ellie's voice cried out, pain lacing each call.

"Finnick," Katniss grabbed his arm, "Finnick, no. It's not her!"

"Ellie!" He ran as fast as he could towards the sound, fear running through his veins. He should have never left her alone. He felt guilt creeping up his face, flushing his cheeks, scared she would not be alive when he found her.

"Ellie!" He spun in circles, looking for her, "Ellie!"

Katniss placed her hand on his shoulder, shaking him, "Finnick, it's not her. It's just a jabberjay, it's not her."

Finnick's face turned bitter, as he spat into Katniss's face, "Well, how do you think they got that sound?" He asked, "Jabberjays copy."

Birds started to swoop down by their heads, tormenting them with the sounds of their loved ones screams. Katniss heard her sister and Gale, the voices occasionally changing. All Finnick heard was Ellie, crying for him over and over. The worst part was, he did not know if Ellie was safe right now. Prim and Gale were safe, in district 12, Ellie was not. 

They pulled each other towards the beach, desperate to escape this madness.

They saw Peeta, Ellie, Johanna, and Beetee just up ahead, they all held their arms out in a stop motion in front of them. Finnick and Katniss were so desperate to escape, they did not notice, both running head first into the barrier.

"Stop! Stop! Stop!" Peeta yelled, but Katniss could not hear, "It's okay. It's not real, they're just mutts."

Ellie's heart broke when she saw Finnick. He was curled up in a ball on the ground, hands covering his ears. Ellie didn't try and speak, she knew he could not hear her. She held her hand on the barrier, right next to Finnick, her eyes welling up with tears. 

After the longest twenty minutes of her life, the barrier fell down and Ellie ran over to him, "it's over." She told him, "They're gone."

Finnick stared off into the distance, as if he was looking straight through Ellie. She held onto his hand and Johanna came to check on him, too.

"Are you okay?" Johanna asked.

Finnick's eyes did not move from the sky, "Yeah, I'm fine."

"They won't touch Prim, all right?" Peeta assured Katniss, holding her in his arms.