Mission Impossible p3

"Finnick? Ellie?" Katniss rushed over and pulled the older boy into a hug, "Are you two with us?"

Ellie was then hugged by Katniss as well, "Looks like it."

Katniss did not strike Ellie as someone who often appreciated physical affection, so she figured Katniss was very grateful for their presence. 

"That was some short rest and recovery." Katniss winked at Ellie, knowing she had been the one to bring them here.

Ellie smiled, "Well, we can all relax at the Capitol." She then looked to Finnick, "After we take it, of course."

The trio made their way back to the group, where it looked like they were about to get debriefed, again. Ellie could not help but be annoyed by all the nitty gritty details and safety and crap. Must have been a bad habit developed by the pure whiplash of lack of preparation for her games both times around.

"Squad 451," A man spoke up, "You're my unit. Lieutenant Jackson is my second in command." He took a deep breath, "Each one of you is elite in some form of combat, but we are a non-combat unit."

Finnick whispered in her ear, "I wouldn't call you elite."

Ellie rolled her eyes and smacked him on the stomach, knowing he was joking with her.

The squad leader spoke up again, "So we'll be following days behind the front-line troops."

A girl with blonde hair, half shaved, half long, then followed, "You're to be the onscreen faces on the invasion. The "star squad." It's been determined that you're most effective when seen by the masses."

It was asked if they were fighting at all, a question that was quickly shut down. Ellie decided she was not going to talk to these people unless it was necessary. They seemed kind of scary, to say the least.

"Even though we'll be working on abandoned streets miles behind the front lines, I guarantee you, wherever they put us, it will not be safe." The leader spoke with determination in his voice. "This is a war zone. It is likely that we will encounter both active pods and Peacekeeprs." He paused, "You're considered high value targets to the Capitol. In the event of capture, you will be given a nightlock pill. A poison that acts immediately." 

Ellie snickered, luckily not heard by anyone else but Finnick, but he was not amused. He squeezed her hand in warning. Ellie could not help but find it ironic. These people would rather kill themselves than imagine what she went through. She tried not to find it cowardly, but was having a hard time. 

"Lieutenant Jackson, do the honors." He ordered, handing her the pods to pass out. "I've already briefed you on the pods. I remind you, they are on every block. Our unit has been given a holo." He showed it the group, then put it on the box in front of them, "A database that contains a detailed map of the Capitol and a list of every known pod."

Someone tapped her shoulder, it was Jackson. She handed the girl a small pill. Ellie did not know how she would keep track of such a small and deadly weapon. She decided the best place for it would be in her zip up pocket of her pants. She just hoped there was not a hole or anything in them.

"These pods can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts." He began again, "We cannot move without this device. There's no guarantee that our database is complete. There could be new pods that we're not aware of. Because we do not want the gamemakers to know we have this intel, it has a self-destruct. You flip this switch and say nightlock three times and it blows itself and anything within a 10-foot radius up. Stay within our unit. There may be new pods and whatever they contain, they are meant to kill you."

Finnick and Ellie stumbled over next to Katniss. Finnick lower his head and spoke to the girls, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the 76th hunger games."