A Series of Unfortunate Events

"Run!" Finnick heard Katniss scream, "The fog is poison!" 

He shot awake, immediately. Ellie was fast asleep on his chest, her face scrunched like she fell asleep thinking deeply about something. He looked back to see what Katniss was talking about. A deep, thick fog was headed their way.

Finnick harshly pulled Ellie off the ground, waking her up aggressively. 

"The fuck," Ellie muttered under her breath, rubbing her eyes to try and gain her vision back while simultaneously stumbling over her own feet, being drug by Finnick. 

She looked around her to see a deep fog that covered where their camp used to be. Katniss and Peeta were a few steps ahead of her and Finnick. The terrain was hard to run quickly on, with lots of drops and hills, ground covered in brush, and slick mud causing them to slip constantly. 

Peeta tripped over something and Katniss tried to get him up, but he seemed stuck. Ellie recognized that the boy's fake leg had gotten tangled in some brush. 

Peeta had lost his leg due to his last games. If that wasn't to show that victors did not only bear mental trauma, but also physical trauma, she didn't know what a better example would be. Many of them were battered with scars that tattooed their bodies, and bruises that never seemed to heal. 

Ellie let go of Finnick and ran back to help the two, remembering the deal.

"Ellie!" Finnick yelled.

She pulled a knife out of her belt and started to cut the vines around Peeta's legs. She tried to make sure to not mark up his leg but was not doing a very good job.

"Help him, Finn!" She called back.

Finnick ran over and basically carried Peeta out of the tangled web of vines. He drug him down the hill and away from the fog. Ellie knew there was no chance of outrunning the fog, so she did what any logical person would do to save the symbol of rebellion and their only chance at survival.

She shoved Katniss as hard as she could down the hill, causing the girl to tumble and turn. She ran into a few trees, but was far from the fog.

"Ah!" Ellie screamed out when the fog touched her arm and back. She ran down the hill, tripping over her own feet and getting her foot stuck in a hole someone had dug and put leaves over. Likely an animal trap. 

The fog neared closer and closer, and she pushed herself out the trap. She felt the pain of the burn and collapsed, rolling down the hill, quite literally flipping and turning.

When she reached the bottom, she accepted her fate. The fog was not stopping, and she could not force herself off the ground any longer. It crept closer and closer until it reached about two inches away from her. Then, the weirdest thing happened.

The fog appeared to hit an invisible wall, going up towards the sky, but not anywhere near her.

"Ellie!" She heard a panicked voice call out.

She crawled onto her hands and knees, but quickly found out that bending her back made the burns on it hurt more, causing her to cry out and fall back down on her stomach, lying face down on the floor of the forest. 

She almost jumped out of her skin when two hands went under her armpits, picking her up off the ground, "Ow." She groaned, her whole body aching.

"I know," Finnick comforted, "water helps. Just hold on."

He carried her to a little pond looking thing, where Katniss and Peeta were already sitting. They were both in the water, running their hands over their burns, which seemed to disappear with the touch of the water.