Chapter three

Mumbai
*
*
*
*
It was Shraddha's first time on a plane. She removed her shoe when she was about to enter, but Anand's mother asked her not to. She looked around in search of any people, and when she saw it was only her male bodyguard standing behind them, she coldly told Shraddha to forget about her old life and learn to adjust to theirs. She went in and left Shraddha behind. Shraddha beckoned in sadness and went in. She saw how Anand's mother confidently sat on the chair. She took a newspaper from the table and flipped through the pages. Shraddha proceeded there. She stayed and analyzed whether to sit or not. She thought it would be disrespectful if she sat near her; hence, she modeled on the carpet striping until the door.

"What the hell? Are you mad? Do you wish to kill yourself when the flight takes off?" She shouted at her. Shraddha got scared because this was the first time she heard her voice so deep and cold. It was always soft before. So soft and melodious, but now it was rigid.

"I--m---I--m sorry, Mother." She muttered.

"Come and sit here. Beside me and wear the belt." She beckoned at her. Shraddha followed her instructions. She sat down but didn't understand what a belt meant. She never got the chance to finish school, so she didn't know a lot of English words. She stared at her in silence, waiting for her to wear her belt, not knowing she was slowly igniting Anand's mother's anger with her stare.

"What woman?" she exclaimed, looking at Shraddha.

"The belt? What is it?" Shraddha asked, innocence filling her eyes.

Anand's mother subdued her anger with a sigh. She realized Shraddha wasn't trying to irritate her intentionally. She was just ignorant about all those things. She showed her how to wear the belt, and Shraddha learned it instantly.

"The flight is about to take off. We'll be going up, but don't be scared." She told her.

Shraddha nodded affirmatively, although she was scared deep down. But since Anand's mother was with her, she knew nothing would happen.

The flight started moving on land. Her heart was throbbing, but still, she didn't scream. Instead, she squeezed her eyes shut out of fear, not wanting to see how it would go up. She compressed her lehenga with her hand as she felt the plane move up. She kept muttering religious chants all the way.

"We've reached Mumbai. You can stop praying."

She awoke and peered through the plane's window, but there was nothing to see. Upon disembarking the plane and entering the waiting 2022 black Land Cruiser, she was exposed to a world unlike any she had ever known. Inside the car, she noticed luxuries she had never encountered: a TV, air conditioning, a side bed, and plush black leather chairs. The sight of a fully equipped kitchen and a cup holder with tea left her amazed.

Anand's mother took a cup of tea, demonstrating the proper way to drink it to Shraddha. She smiled broadly as she mimicked the action, knowing that back home, they never used such fancy cups; they relied on humble clay ones. The tea's peculiar taste was unlike anything she had ever experienced, prompting her to set it aside. She shifted her gaze to the breathtaking cityscape outside, illuminated by streetlights and featuring a smooth, pothole-free road, a stark contrast to her village.

As the car halted upon entering an impressive electric gate, Shraddha marveled at the gate's ability to open on its own. However, when she attempted to test it again, it remained closed. Anand's mother explained, "It doesn't recognize you, but by tomorrow, it will. We'll add your picture to the security system."

She closed her eyes, feeling embarrassed for attempting to recheck the gate's autonomous operation.

"Where is Anand?"

"I'll call him. Stay by the door. We'll perform your welcome ceremony," Anand's mother replied before hurrying toward the magnificent castle-like mansion. For Shraddha, it was like stepping into a dreamland, a place unlike anything in her village, a thousand times larger than her neighborhood. She waited by the door, surrounded by lush greenery and a serene fountain.

After a considerable wait, Anand's mother emerged from the mansion and warmly greeted Shraddha. She decided to spare the young girl's feelings, concealing the fact that they had arranged her marriage to their son through deception, and that Anand had no genuine affection for her.

"Anand informed the workers to inform you that an emergency surgery came up tonight, and he had to leave. But he promised to return before 11."

Shraddha, understanding the importance of Anand's profession, replied, "No problem, I'll wait for him." She hesitated to enter without him, mindful of her village's superstitions.

"Here? Don't be ridiculous. Come in and wait in your room."

"No, Mother. I want our marriage to be blessed. If I enter without him, there's a superstition that it won't be. I'll wait here."

Respecting Shraddha's beliefs, Anand's mother retreated inside, while Shraddha rested against the wall.

Meanwhile, in a bar, Anand ordered more beer to drown his sorrows, haunted by thoughts of his first wife, Supriya.

Back at the mansion, Shraddha continued to wait outside until eleven. Anand's mother returned and noticed that she had drifted off to sleep. She gently woke her up and reassured her that Anand would soon arrive.

"It's me," she said.

Shraddha looked around before inquiring, "Where is Anand?"

"He'll be here. Come inside; it's late."

"But..."

"Come inside. He'll be here." She offered false hope as she had attempted to reach Anand on the phone, but he rejected her calls. She didn't want Shraddha to wait unnecessarily when he didn't seem to care. She wanted the tired girl to find some rest, a sentiment shared by anyone with a compassionate heart.

"It's a bad omen." Shraddha was wary of anything that might bring ill fortune to her marriage, adhering to her village's superstitions.

"Imagine he's right here with you. Everyone inside, including the children, has gone to sleep. You should rest too. We'll have the welcome ceremony and reception tomorrow."

Shraddha nodded, and they entered the lavish mansion. The interior was quiet and dimly lit as they climbed the stairs and entered the third room in the first hallway.

"Good night. I'm sending food. Make sure you eat before going to sleep," Anand's mother instructed before leaving and closing the door. Shraddha glanced around the room briefly; it was beautiful but felt lifeless without its owner. She sat on the carpet while someone knocked on the door, causing her to panic, thinking it was Anand. She calmed her racing heart and opened the door, only to find a servant delivering food. She moved away from the door, allowing the servant to place the tray on the table, and received congratulations on her marriage.

"Thank you," she replied, her weariness evident.

Morning arrived quickly, and Shraddha had not slept as she anxiously awaited her husband's return. At seven o'clock, the sun streamed into the room, and the door slowly creaked open.

Her eyes turned toward Anand, who had arrived.