Chapter twenty-eight

Anand asks Ranbir not to go after her and give her time to gather herself together. Although, he was hurt she turned him down even though he explained the situation. He understood her circumstance. She dislikes their father to the fullest. However, he was certain she will return to help him. He knows she isn't selfish to walk out on him. They always helped each other in times of need. And he strongly affirmed it will be the same this time too. His belief turned out true. Riya walked right back in. She ran towards him after letting go of her daughter's hand and embraced him. Through her hug, she conveyed her loneliness and weakness.

"I can't carry on like this Brother. I'm not strong for this type of life."

Anand pats her hair slowly.

"Let's get this over and done with. What will he ask from me? Why does he want me?" she pulled back while wiping her tears and putting on a strong face.

"To return to Ranbir? So that his reputation remains intact?"

"I don't know." Anand looked at her apologetically as he knew he had failed her as a brother. He should be protecting her, not the other way around.

"For you, I'll return to Ranbir Brother. As long as Shraddha will come back." 

Ranbir hears that. He becomes at peace and then prays that was what her father will make her do.

"You won't have to stay there for long if you don't want to. Just for two days." Anand said.

"Ok."

"I'll call Father!" he mounted the stairs and entered the house. He went into the living room, picked up the telephone, and then dialed his father's number.

"Hello!" came his voice through the phone.

"Riya has been here for a long time. Where is Shraddha?"

"If you're in the house, go out. She should be walking in any moment from now."

He dropped the phone and went out. The gate was moved, and Shraddha walked in. She was looking so pale, so tired. Her hair has turned messy and unkempt. The glow and charm on her face had vanished. He found his blood boiling. Just for a few hours, she was only with his father for a few hours, and he made her that. As she reached Anand, he saw her hopeful eyes, and a tear striking down from them. His world first paused, before a thousand thoughts ran through his mind on why she was crying.

"What did that demon do to you?" he roared.

Instead of answering, Shraddha cried some more. Her tears weren't just affecting her. Anand was feeling the pain too. But more than the pain, he was getting angry. And more angrier at his father. To him, he was a demon in disguise as a human. Shraddha always repressed what the family did to her. She never cried it out. And today, just for the few hours she spent with him, he made her cry. He made her look faded and dull. He snatched her smile. He was certain he did or say something serious.

"I'll not spare him." since she was refusing to tell him, he sought to seek answers from him. Although he didn't know where he was at the moment, he was certain he will find him. Wanting to walk away, Shraddha grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"He didn't do or say anything."

He looked at her. From all indications, she was lying. Why? A person who avoids trying to have eye contact with you is trying to hide something. And that was exactly what Shraddha was doing. Her eyes were roaming on the ground refusing to meet with his. That expression hurt him to the core. He didn't blame her. It was right on her path not to trust him again. After all, what did he give her in their marriage apart from pain? He never made her happy. Not genuinely. Even though she tried to carry everything with a smile.