Chapter thirty-three

Shraddha's POV
It's been four days since the terrible incident. I've gotten more alert now. I try to be with Anand at all times. Even when I'm not in the room, I stay in the hallway because he showed me he wanted to be alone. I've noticed ever since he woke up after the incident, he has become a quiet man. He hardly comes downstairs for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I take it to him in the room. He doesn't accept anyone except Riddhima in the room too. Unless me who goes in to give him food or medications. I've taken it upon myself to do that work. I told him there was no need to hire a stay-home nurse and he agreed.

I've given him his coffee. I also told him his age doesn't matter to me. It really doesn't matter. I love him not for his age or looks or even money, but because of his hidden character which he concealed for a long time after Supriya's death. There's a real Anand in him that he has buried and I wish to return that Anand. But to be honest, sometimes, I feel like that will be a dream that will remain unfulfilled. There's no effort from Anand's side. He has built a strong wall in his heart that is making it impossible for me to intrude.

"Where is she?"

I smile upon hearing Riddhima's voice. She comes in. She is still in her school uniform. The paper in her hand gets my attention.

"What is that?"

"A thank you gift. You've been taking good care of my dad. You also listened to me and spoke to him on my behalf to bring Sister Poonam back. Thank you."

I wasn't expecting her sudden hug. I put the spoon in my hand into the pot to reciprocate her hug. "I didn't call Poonam back. Your grandmother did." I tell.

"It happened because of you." she draws back. I chuckle and collect the paper in her hand. It is a family drawing. I look at it again and again. There's her father by her side,

I chuckle a bit at the big head she drew of him.

Poonam, herself and then a woman.

"It's you. Our family portrait."

My lips parts instantly and I look at the beautiful drawing. Tears brim in my eyes. Tears of happiness. I can't believe Riddhima sees me as a mother figure now. I look at her and I pull her in for another hug.

"How can I repay you? What do you want from me, my child?"

"Sweets. Chocolates. Candies. Ice cream."

Her sweet innocent voice makes me laugh as I pull back. I will give it to her, all of it. I'll make it for her. At last, I've earned her trust.

I kiss her forehead tenderly.

"Change your uniform and come. We'll prepare food for your sister." I tell her. She leaves the portrait with me and leaves.

Anand's POV
The evening had just surpassed the afternoon. I arrived ten minutes earlier at the cafe. It's more of a French cafe as there are a lot of French speaking people in the hall. I've ordered a Kirsch drink. It is made from fermented black morello cherries. Sipping it gently, I check my watch again. The clock strikes seven. I look at the transparent door that is about to welcome my assistant. He's the one I asked to find me the man. But strange. He is coming in alone when I expected he'll be together with him.

He reached me at the table and sat down in one of the two empty chairs.

"He called me. He is near the cafe."

I nod and inhale deeply. I'm nervous. What if everything is true? Supriya cheated. And she loved him back despite being married to me. I've loved her with my heart. Never was there a moment I fell out of love with her. Every day, I loved her more and more than the day that passed. I'm still under the impression she had the same feelings for me.