Chapter twenty-nine

He watched her fold her clothes into her bag. She swarmed everything she came with, and left the ones his mother gave her as gifts.

"Where is Mother?" she asked. "I have to tell her I'm going." she added.

Even he had no idea where she was. When he came home, he was only worried about her safety. He didn't bother to check up on his mother, or daughter. He stood up from the bed and also dragged the suitcase on top of the closet, bringing it down. Shraddha wanted to know what he was going to do, but she didn't want to ask. Her lips felt heavy to produce words. She saw him taking the clothes his mother gave her as gifts and putting them inside. He also brought out his clothes, emptying the closet. Only few of his clothes were able to fit in the remaining space of the case.

"Can you check if some of this can fit in your luggage?" he asked her.

She quickly turned away, zipped her bag and got up.

"We're not going to the same place."

"Yes, we are. We're leaving the house tonight. I'll also go and prepare Poonam and Riddhima's bags. We'll go to a house that is far away from this."

"You won't leave, nor will the children. They'll stay with their father and grandparents."

"I'm not asking your opinion. I've made a decision, and you have to come with me because we haven't been divorced yet. I still have full rights over you."

She chose not to reply to him.

"I'll go and look for Mother." she said simply.

"She will be busy today. Welcoming guests, preparing for today and tomorrow. Don't bother her. We'll leave after the party and she won't realize it. After a week when she becomes less busy, I'll inform her about my decision to move out."

"I'm not looking for her to tell her you're moving out. I'm looking for her to inform her I'm leaving."

"We're leaving."

His consistency was commendable. However, there was nothing Shraddha could do. She had already given his father her word. Even if she wanted, there was no turning back.

"Is she not at home?"

"I doubt she is."

She quietly went over to the empty bed and sat to wait for her return. She had to tell her before the party as maybe, she could talk to Anand's father, and then try to reverse his decision. She doesn't want to go, and unless he asks her to stay, she can't. Anand joined her on the bed. She moved her face to the other side, and all that was visible to him was a quarter.

He smiled briefly. "What did Father tell you?"

"If you keep asking me what he said, I'll stand up and leave. Then, you'll never see me again." she whispered.

He repressed himself from asking more questions. He got up and exited the room. After his departure, Shraddha gazed in the direction of the door, her eyes getting warmed with tears again. If there was anything that will make her happy, it was Anand. He was accepting her, giving her a home where they'll build together, and instead of accepting to go with him, she rejected. What more could she have asked for in this world? God was giving her everything, yet at the same time, taking it back. She didn't acknowledge there was someone standing by the door and talking. She realized her presence when the lady raised her voice.

"Ma'am is calling you."

"Mother?" she enquired.

"Yes."

She blinked a couple of times. Her last hope was his mother. She mentioned that she wanted her and Anand to be together. Unlike his father who was keen on letting their marriage remain a contract. She was going to use the last option although she was warned not to tell anyone what they discussed with his father. As she left the room, thoughts of contemplation kept running in her mind. She stopped by in front of Riddhima's room when she heard giggles coming out from there. Anand was serious when he told her he was leaving. Together with Riddhima, they were packing their clothes, and making it fun at the same time. He was telling her about how she'll have her own room, and she can do whatever she wishes in it.

She had no intention to eavesdrop, but Riddhima's laughter was infectious. She found herself naturally smiling due to it. The way Anand was trying to describe the room to her, he was demonstrating it with his hands. And she was listening to him and laughing with careful attention.

"Shraddha!"

The unexpected voice behind her made her shoulders jump slightly. She turned and saw his mother. In her hand was a shopping bag. Her eyes returned to her face, and she was about to tell her what she discussed with Anand's father.

"Riddhima picked this lehenga for you." she handed the bag to her. "There's no time to waste. You wasted it by going to Delhi. Go and get ready. You also promised to get Riddhima ready. She's been mentioning that the whole time at the boutique. Quickly, go." she spoke impatiently while shooing her away. She had no opportunity to tell her. She had to go, but before going, she made sure she closed the door to the room. And she returned to Anand's room.

She acknowledged the weight of the bag in her hand. She smiled brightly as she took out the lehenga. Her heart was deeply touched. It was the first time, the first time she did something for her. The lehenga was made from a purple netted fabric and had an embellishment of beadwork and sequin. Not very heavy, but above beautiful.

Shraddha leaned and placed a kiss on it affectionately, after all, it was the first gift she received from her daughter. She was going to take it along, stare at it every day and remember it was her daughter that gave it to her.

Without wasting time, she changed into it. She surveyed her reflection in the mirror. She was looking like a bride on her final farewell. Today too, she had tears. The fact that she came into the house dressed as a bride and will leave while still dressed like a bride ached her heart. If only she could scream her lungs out and cry, but she concealed those tears with a smile. She forced her face to light up with her smile.

Do vote and comment! 😃