Chapter twenty-two

Mumbai

Anand's toes fidgeted as he waited anxiously for his mother to speak. His mother felt the movement of the pulse in Shraddha. She heaved a long sigh of relief before parting her lips to tell her son the news that would calm him.

"She is alive."

Anand's legs lowered until he was on his knees, and he began to cry tears of joy. He never expected he would be so happy to hear the news. He was very scared. He wasn't strong enough to lose another person he knew. Supriya's death broke him. And Shraddha was someone he was beginning to be attached to. At least, even if they will part, they shouldn't part through death. He will accept her leaving in any way, but not through death.

"Examine her." His mother shifted, and he got up to do that. He sat beside her. Before touching her again, he took a long breath and then held her cold hand, which had the same temperature as a corpse. He gulped slowly as he leaned near her face to sense her breath. Her breath was very slow—slower than a tortoise's speed. It smelled weird.

"Shraddha!" he whispered.

She was fast asleep in a different world where she couldn't hear or respond to him. He sighed with full guilt because maybe she was in this condition because of him and his family. They might have burdened her with more than she could handle, but she took up the responsibility of the family with a smile. She didn't show any sign of burden.

As it wasn't his field to know what precisely happened to her, he summoned a doctor. The doctor reached the house in no time, and he examined Shraddha's health. During that time, he stood beside his mother, and both of them dwelled in nervous silence.

The doctor finished checking on her. He turned, and on his face, there was a clear indication of worry. Anand held his breath, waiting to hear from him.

"Mr. Anand, your wife was given combinations of overdosed and expired injections. You might think they've expired, so their functionality has worn off, but no. The injections given to her are more harmful when expired."

Hearing what the doctor said, Anand's mind swept into the realization that Poonam did it because, if not her, no one else was capable of it. She was the one who showed her dislike for Shraddha in public.

"And the cure? When will she wake up?" His mother inquired with concern.

"I've tried to flush it out. I can't say for certain when she'll regain consciousness because now she's like in a comma. But she will wake up."

Anand sighed deeply. At least she would wake up. The last sentence gave him some sort of relief before his anger geared again to the extreme. He left the room to pursue Poonam. Poonam was in her room, watching her daily soap series. Anand dashed into the room. Without making any noise, he went to her closet and ushered her clothes out while she looked at him with a confused stare, wondering why he was doing that.

"You're going to the boarding school today. You'll wait there until they resume the holiday and continue your classes. You'll not return until you're done with your education." He yanked the clothes without folding them into the bag and zipped it. Poonam took it from him and spoke.

"It's better I go too because my presence isn't needed here. However, may I ask why you're sending me away?"

Anand's uprising tone sent cold shudders of fear down her spine. "Watch how you talk to me. I'm your father, and I won't tolerate disrespect from you."

She chewed on her anger and everything else. "What did I do, Father?" For the first time, she said his name without feeling the respect associated with it because, why not? He was sending her off because he got himself a new wife, forgetting their mother.

"You gave Shraddha the injections."

She was about to deny it when he spoke.

"Don't try to deny it. I can see the syringe under your bed."

Her gaze took a turn under her bed. Her face flushed with embarrassment, and she tried to hold her father's hands to explain herself. The warning finger he showed her in response made her stop. She looked into his bulging eyes.

"I do not wish to hide anything from you. I was very angry with her. I found out you gifted my horse. I'm sure she influenced you to make the decision. She also turned you against me. I had to take action."

"When? When did she turn me against you? Do you not know she was going to leave because you lied to me that she tore your mother's poems and exchanged her picture with hers?"

Her face turned to pity, and she replied softly. "I'm sorry. Please don't send me to the boarding school.

"I'm not sending you there because of this mistake. If I take action, I'll disown you. It's your first time trying to kill someone. Make sure it is the last, because the next time, you'll lose my surname. I'm sending you to London to go learn real education where your grandfather can't bribe the teachers."

"No Father. I'm sorry."

He dashed out of the room before his heart melted from the tears he saw in her eyes. She needed to be groomed for her future, and there wasn't a better way than sending her away.

••••

"Poonam won't leave this house. She won't leave Mumbai." Anand's father argued his decision. He found out what his son was planning to do when his granddaughter went to him and cried her heart out because she didn't want to leave.

"Poonam is my child. I'll appreciate it if you don't interfere in the decisions I make about her. Everything I do isn't for myself, but for what will benefit her."

"She's not........" His father was about to debate more until Poonam denounced her decision.

"I'll go if that will make Father happy." She then quickly rushed towards the stairs. His mom sighed loudly as she followed her to comfort her. Anand and his father approached each other.

"Stay away from my children. I've found out what you did to Poonam. You've always bribed her teacher to make her take first place in class."

"Because I love her. She is the daughter I never had. Your sister never obeyed me. On the other hand, Poonam does whatever I say."

"Whatever it is..." His tone got harsher while his eyes grew darker as they stared at his father. "She is my daughter. You're only a grandfather to her. You have no right to make decisions regarding her life when I'm still alive."

"Dad!"

They turned at once upon hearing Riddhima's worried voice. She descended the stairs at a fast pace and reached them. She was panting because she ran, and she spoke.

"Poonam told me she's leaving, never to return."

Anand looked at his daughter and remained silent for a long time. Even if he were to explain it to her, she wouldn't really understand. "Your mother, stay with her. Poonam is going on a vacation; we won't be there. But she'll enjoy it a lot."

He walked past her and walked out of the house. Back in the room, Poonam separated the photos of her and her father. She cried in silence so as not to draw unnecessary attention. She carried her diary, which was the only thing left that contained the moments she wrote down with her father. She ripped it out too. The tears in her eyes stopped just like a tap that was closed as her eyes moved over the memories she wished to forget.

"If I leave my home today because of the illegitimate Shraddha, then my humanity will die. I will begin to hate poor people, like my grandfather said, because they do nothing other than poison their environment with their cheap and black thoughts. She succeeded in poisoning my father's love for me. If I leave, I won't return like Aunt Riya said to her father. I will also not return until Father dies because he doesn't love me. I hope Shraddha never regains consciousness. May she die in sleep." she clamored. Her hatred knew no bounds. To her father and to Shraddha.

Hearing that, her grandfather, who was by the door, developed a little sweat on his forehead. The girl was sensitive, so he wondered how she'd react when the secret he'd buried for five years gets exposed. He hoped she wouldn't hate him too.

"Poonam!" he called gently.

She beckoned him to enter the room. While he did, he maintained a safe distance between them.

"You don't have to worry. Study hard; days like these will come and pass. I'll visit you every weekend once the election concludes. The school is still on holiday. It will give you time to adjust to the new environment. I will send you money every day to go out and enjoy. Still, if you need anything...."

"I'll be fine."

"I trust you. Please know that whatever you do, I'll always support you. You'll always be right in my eyes."

Her lips stretched into a grin as she went forward and hugged him.

"You're the best grandfather. You understand me so well." she mumbled.