13 (Last Chapter)

The airy night was full of tranquility and calmness, and sudden hushes of wind blew from all directions—not very windy nor cloudy—as the sky was filled with beautiful stars that could enthrall someone into looking at it forever as long as they didn't disappear. Shraddha and Sarah were strolling in the area.

"What does India have? There's nothing to do here. I miss the life in America where I party in clubs and you go with me to give me company. Is there even a club here?" Her friend complained about the boring life she lived for just a day, which was staying home all day. She didn't expect that following her to India meant giving up enjoying life. Back in America, she hardly stayed in one place. She loves adventures.

"We have clubs."

Shraddha's tongue roamed around her teeth. She sighed with exhaustion, her eyes closing. She was tired of chasing Anand away. He was back again.

"May I ask who you are? She's not your wife anymore. She made it clear." Her friend stopped right in front of him when he wanted to reach Shraddha. He looked at her, literally, for the first time.

"Greetings to you," he said formally.

"Greetings," she replied.

"I'm her husband. As a friend, your job should be to keep your friend happy, and I am her happiness."

Shraddha's mouth slightly opened. She asked, "Said by?" because she doesn't remember declaring that.

"Aren't I?" He moved her friend and stood a few steps from her.

"Maybe Shraddha once said that, but Ananya, I doubt she'll even settle for a man like you," she answered. He inched a little bit closer, but she closed the distance between them with her squinted eyes, looking into his.

"Don't play the proximity game with me. I told you Ananya doesn't have a heart."

"Doesn't she?" He voiced it huskily. As his gaze got darker, it crossed the barrier she set in her heart, and Shraddha's soul got reawakened, which used to be deeply in love with him. It now fought its way with Ananya's. She shook her head, refusing to be that same naive woman that was taken advantage of.

"Yes. She has no heart." Her voice came out softer as she said it more to herself to remind herself that she really doesn't have a heart.

"Keep looking. Look at my love. Do you think it is a pretense?

She tried to take her eyes off the thing that was rousing her emotions, but her eyes didn't want to look away. She felt the love, and it made her teary-eyed.

"Allow me to hold your hand again. I promise you, the people who made you cry will all suffer for it. Together, we will fight everyone. Don't deprive me of the pleasure of holding your hand. I'll die without you."

Her lips quivered, unable to match words. She searched for the Ananya they created in her—the Ananya her father founded. She betrayed her like everyone else, disappearing and leaving Shraddha to deal with her problems.

"I'm aware I've made you cry countless times. I'm aware my family has made you cry countless times. Please allow me to wipe them. Allow me to give you a laugh too."

"I gave you that chance."

He finally found the right time to apologize to her. Guilt had been eating him up since. He treated her wrong, and all he wanted, if given a chance now, was to treat her right. He will never believe he has lost her forever. Shraddha was loving. He would revive that old Shraddha because she could never be lost. He too, was on the edge of tears of remorse. He was certain he would cry for the rest of his life if she were to turn him down again. "I will tell you again. Let's have a wedding. A certified wedding and leave my parents' mansion. Let's build a home somewhere else. I promise you, I will make sure you're never sad there. All you'll have is happiness. I will make sure you forget that sorrow exists. We will color that house with our love, giving it life with our voices. There will be only us, and I'm giving you absolute permission to cut relations with my parents if that too will make you happy. They will neither visit, nor will I be hurt if you don't visit them. But,"

"Don't force me," she said immediately, covering her lips after a gasp escaped. She was crying at her unfortunate fate. She so much wanted to accept Anand's proposal, but she had promised herself that Shraddha was dead, and Ananya didn't need love in her life.

"I beg you, Shraddha, not to turn your back on me. Let's love each other. I've also promised you I will stand before anyone who tries to hurt you, even if they're my family, and I will have all those who hurt you, even if they are my family, punished. Don't make me and yourself suffer. We had already done enough by staying away from each other. I will tell you honestly that I don't feel safe knowing you're at Uncle's home. Riya can try to hurt, but let's not talk about her now."

"We should talk about her. She killed..."

"Shraddha isn't dead. I will never want her to be dead."

Amidst the temperate evening of tranquility, an imprint of a person's shadow quilled towards Anand's residence.