Runaway

We were all gathered around Chris's casket, which was buried next to his dad. I couldn't stop crying. Ruby was next to me, she hugged me trying to make me feel better. We put roses on his grave then we all howled. After the funeral, I went back to Ruby's place.

"It's not your fault y/n, stop blaming yourself for Chris's death"

"Yes, it was my fault and you know it, you're just trying to make me feel better"

She made me some coffee and gave me cookies.

"Chris may be gone but he'll always be in your heart"

That was so fucking cliché, I began to cry even more than before.

"I just want Chris to be here with me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up on Ruby's couch. I must have cried myself to sleep. The sun was slowly coming out. A new day.

I got up and made breakfast for Ruby and I. I was making pancakes and hot chocolate. One day without meat won't hurt.

Ruby woke up a couple minutes later.

"Mmm what's that smell?" she asked

"I'm making pancakes and hot chocolate" Our comfort food.

We ate our breakfast and cleaned up, then there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it" I said

I opened the door to see Jordan.

"Toxic, umm I just came to tell you that, next week we are going to find out who the new leader is"

"How do you know who the new leader is?" I asked

"Well the witches, can tell who the strongest one from the pack is. The strongest one with good skills is chosen to lead the pack." He explained.

"Oh" 

Since Chris didn't have any children, this must be how they determine the next leader. It felt wrong moving on so quickly but the pack wouldn't be able to function without guidance. 

"Well... I just came to tell you that" he said, then left.

I closed the door

"Who was it?" asked Ruby

"It was just Jordan, he told me about the next new leader"

"Oh, I don't know who it is, the older witches have that power, to determine the strongest, the kindness, and the bravest."

"It doesn't matter anyway, I don't belong there anymore" 

"Don't say that. Of course you belong there, they're your family" she said

"NO, I HAD a family, but they were killed, then I had another family but they gave me away to wolves, and my last family is dead, and it's all MY FAULT!" I felt tears streaming down my cheeks.

Ruby stayed quiet, I could see the guilt on her face.

" I need to get away from here. I can't bare to stay here any longer"

"No you can't leave y/n. If you don't want to be with the pack you can stay with me." she begged me to stay

" I'm leaving tonight. I need time alone away from everyone. I need to find who I truly am and why I'm here in this world"

Ruby began to cry, "You can't go. I need you"

"Don't worry I'll be back I promise"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~