Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

Chapter 2

Anya Porter stared at Selené with those electric blue eyes like she'd seen a ghost

Selené supposed she should have expected this reaction, though she herself wasn't prepared for this encounter, either. Not this soon, at least.

Trey didn't usually bring people into the house where he kept Selené. He didn't let her meet anyone he didn't want to, and he didn't like her to have friends. In fact, he didn't want her to be alone with anyone except himself and the help. It was why Anya had never met her, despite working for Trey for years.

His control might have made her worried if she hadn't come to the point of complete and total apathy about her safety.

She tugged at a loose thread on her matching luxury silk pajama set until it snapped, thinking it was fitting the color she'd worn this morning was red.

"I'm Selené," she said with a polite smile, acting like Anya was a stranger and not the woman whose lips were responsible for the red mark on her collarbone she'd spent the morning carefully covering with makeup. Letting her do that last night had been reckless.

Trey glanced between the two women as Selené placed the green smoothie down—the only thing Trey allowed her to have for breakfast—and extended her hand out for Anya to grab.

"It's...nice to meet you," Anya said very carefully. "I'm Anya."

Anya was, objectively, the most attractive woman Selené had ever seen.

Her hair was cut in a black pixie cut, slicked back. She wore light wash jeans and a white t-shirt—a modest outfit although Selené knew she had money. She'd seen it in the impressive luxury hotel Anya had rented out last night.

Selené's fiancé paid Anya well for the type of things she was willing to do.

Things other people wouldn't do.

You could tell it from the roughness of the pads of her fingers, she thought. You could feel it in the intensity of her grip as she shook Selené's outstretched hand.

There was a threat to her, even when she stood there relaxed. People who knew they could fend for themselves were always very blasé about life. It was something Selené felt jealous of. She wanted that sort of confidence, that sort of safety— and she intended to get it.

Anya pulled away quickly. Selené could only imagine she did not want to touch her with the same fingers she had caressed her body with just hours earlier.

It probably felt wrong.

Selené was glad it felt wrong. She didn't get to feel like she had gotten the best of someone very often. It felt good. She had to bite back her smile at the sight of Anya's speechlessness.

"Sorry, I had to work late yesterday," Trey said, breaking the silence as if unaware of the tension in the room.

He hugged Selené into his side more warmly than she was used to from him. He must have wanted to show off in front of his employee.