Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 15

Selené sat beside Laura on her plush, white couch

Selené sat beside Laura on her plush, white couch. She was uncomfortable. She didn't feel like she knew the woman well enough to have a one-on-one conversation with her like this. The entire ride back to her house had been awkward enough, but being alone in her house with her was somehow worse.

"Are you excited?" Laura asked. "Getting married is such an exciting time."

"Yeah. Of course," Selené lied. She wished it came as naturally to her as it seemed to come to Anya. "I'm a little nervous as well."

"That's normal," Laura said.

"Do you like being married?" Selené said, glancing up at her.

For a moment, Laura couldn't keep her bubbly mask up and Selené saw a look of panic pass over her face.

"It has its ups and downs," she said. "But when you love somebody, you stick it out."

"I'm worried I'm not ready to get married," Selené admitted. "I don't know what I'm going to be expected to do."

It was a lie, and Selené knew it was. She knew exactly what she was expected to do. She was supposed to make Trey look good.

She was going to be an accessory for him to carry around on his arm, like an expensive watch. His associates and his enemies and the general public would look at him and be impressed that he had such a beautiful, quiet wife who did everything he said and waited at home for him to return every night.

She didn't have to achieve anything or say anything important. She just had to exist.

"How about I go and get us a bottle of wine?" Laura said with a smile.

Wine? Now that could work.

"Make it two!" Selené said.

Laura giggled and got up from the couch, prancing happily to the kitchen. She came back with two bottles and two glasses, and immediately got to work popping the corks. Over the next half an hour, Selené made sure not to drink too much, but filled up Laura's glass whenever it got down to the halfway mark.

She wanted her drunk, and she wanted her talking.

Before long, she was slurring her words and laughing at Selené like she was the funniest person she had ever met.

"I mean, I'm not saying Cole's terrible in bed, or anything," Laura said as she poured herself a third glass of white wine.

"Mhm," Selené said, conservatively sipping her glass as she watched Laura spill sticky drops onto the table.

"That would be mean, you know. I'm just saying—"

"That you've had better," Selené finished for her.

"Oh my god, yes," Laura said before dissolving into a mess of giggles.

"No, I completely understand," Selené lied.