Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Chapter 10

Wednesday morning Selené woke up, and the rest of the day was a mess

The days after the dinner party, Selené found herself more upset than she had been before. Trey hadn't seemed mad at her when he drove her home, something that surprised her. Instead, he had been unusually quiet.

Over the last few days, he had said a couple of times that he was very busy with something, and the uncertainty of it was putting her on edge. Anya hadn't come back to her house either. She had been left alone with her anxiety.

She was scared. What if Cole had said something to him? What would that mean for her? Sure, Anya had tried to reassure her that it was nothing, but Selené didn't feel that way.

She felt scared.

There was something else that had been bothering her— something that seemed even worse than dying.

Why was it that his sister deserved respect and she didn't? He would kill his brother-in-law for having an affair, but he was more than happy to do the same thing to her? What was the difference? How did he rationalize something like that in his mind?

Was she just less of a person in his eyes?

Before, Selené had never really cared that much that he slept with other women. It was a small price to pay for the mercy he had shown her in the past. However, something about finding out that he thought it would be wrong for someone to do the same thing to his sister... It made her feel sick.

How would he feel, she wondered, if he found out Laura's husband put his hands around her throat?

She had been grappling with all of this through the weekend and into the week, and it was horrible. But Wednesday... Wednesday it all came to a head.

She woke up that morning to movers packing up the house. In a panic, she had stumbled out of her bedroom and into the living room, looking for Trey, Anya... anyone who could tell her what was going on.

She'd found Anya there, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed, casually watching as half a dozen men worked tirelessly packing up everything in the house.

"What's going on?" Selené asked her. "Why are there movers here?"

Anya glanced up at her, expression flat.

"We're going somewhere," she said. "I'd grab anything important you have in your room. I don't think we're going to come back here."

The disinterested tone of her voice sent a pang of fear through her. Selené knew the woman could tell she was in a panic, and the fact that she didn't even seem to care was bad news.

"Ah—okay."

Selené ran back to her bedroom and locked the door.

There was only one thing there she really cared about. Under her bed, she pulled out a large, black handbag. It was her emergency fund.