Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 12

"So this is supposed to be fun?" Selené asked as she trudged through the woods behind Anya

After Anya had come back inside once Trey left, she'd suggested they do something fun together. She hadn't told Selené exactly what that entailed yet, but apparently it included dragging her through trees.

As Selené glanced around, the woods seemed to stretch on forever in endless rows. She thought the property her new house was on seemed big when she first saw it, but she didn't realize just how big it was until she was trying to keep up with Anya through the trees.

Anya looked back over her shoulder at Selené, the wheelbarrow she had found in a shed behind the house wobbling just a little bit as she pushed through the grass.

"My grandpa used to say it was fun," she said.

"Oh, well if your grandpa said it was fun, then I guess it must be fun. Grandpas are notoriously fun."

Selené nearly tripped over her feet as she struggled to keep up with her. She was usually more of an indoor person, and it wasn't like she had gotten much exercise in the past few years anyway, which only made Anya even harder to keep pace with.

"It's better than sitting around inside being sad," Anya said.

Selené rolled her eyes even though Anya couldn't see them.

Anya suddenly stopped at a small clearing where there were a few tree stumps and a small pile of logs. Selené sat down on one of the stumps and pulled her shorts down a little bit. As Anya pulled an ax out of the wheelbarrow, Selené nervously glanced down at her sneakers. They had been clean and white before, but now had bits of dirt around the rubber. She wondered if it was something Trey might notice.

She wondered if it was something he might get mad at her about.

She kicked her legs back to knock them against the stump and tried not to think about it.

"You know, when you said we were going to do something fun, I really thought you were talking about something else," she said.

Anya glanced back at her over her shoulder with a bit of a smile playing on her mouth as she sat one of the logs down on the stump.

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"I've got a deck of cards. We could play Rummy," Selené said.

"I'm rusty. You'll have to remind me what the rules are for that game."

"It's a bit warm for a fire," Selené pointed out.

Anya grabbed the hem of her shirt and pulled it up over her head before tossing it over the edge of the wheelbarrow, pausing for just a moment to look Selené up and down. It almost felt like Anya was challenging her to respond.

"I guess we can just sit inside and be sad if that's what you'd rather do. You're the boss, after all."

Selené felt her face growing warm as she looked over at Anya's torso.