Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 9

Anya already didn't like being around Selené and Trey at the same time, but being at a party with Trey's family just made everything worse

Anya already didn't like being around Selené and Trey at the same time, but being at a party with Trey's family just made everything worse. There was already one man there who hated her.

She didn't need to make it two.

She almost hadn't come. She could have made up an excuse. She could have said Marco needed help with a job. She could have even just told Trey she didn't want to see Laura and he probably would have understood.

But she didn't. Even though she knew it was stupid and pointless, she had wanted to see Selené again.

All she could think about lately was Selené. All she could dream about was Selené. She should have been having the time of her life, winding down on her stress, and going on dates. Instead, all she had right now was a constant, curly haired source of anxiety.

The only thing she knew to do was to drink enough whiskey to ignore the entire situation for the rest of the night. The stupid situation she had willingly put herself in.

But then she heard voices just outside of the bathroom. She opened the door and took a quiet step outside. She could see Cole, his back turned to her, gripping Selené's arm as she tried to pull away. Her fingers tightened around the doorframe as she tried to maintain her composure.

Her immediate impulse was to lose her temper and slam him to the ground, but she knew acting on an impulse was never a good idea. Instead, she swallowed her anger down and quietly stepped out of the bathroom.

She could hear Selene's surprisingly stern voice more clearly now.

"I told you, I was just joking around with her."

"I don't know. It didn't sound that way to me," Cole said. She could see his fingers squeeze her arm even tighter as he spoke.

"Let me go. I was seriously just playing around with her. We joke like that all the time," Selené said, wincing when Cole yanked her back closer. There was a pained pinch in her voice as she spoke, and it only made Anya's face burn with even more anger.

"Oh, yeah? Then maybe I should go ask your fiancé how funny it is? Do you want to go tell him together?"

"Trey is fine with it. We're all friends," Selenés aid. Her voice didn't waver at all despite the fear Anya could clearly see in her eyes.

Cole tugged on her arm a little bit harder and jerked his head towards the other end of the hallway. "Like I said. Let's go talk to him then."

"Stop touching me. I don't even know you."

As Anya walked up, Selené's eyes moved past the man's broad shoulders to meet hers. Anya firmly, but not violently, placed her hand on Cole's shoulder.

"What are you doing, Cole?" Anya asked.

He jumped at her touch. Anya could feel the muscles in his shoulder tense at the sound of her voice, and in response, she dug the tips of her fingers harder into his skin, right where she knew it would hurt.