Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 11

As the car drove through the woods, Selené found herself feeling just a bit calmer

As the car drove through the woods, Selené found herself feeling just a bit calmer. After a few minutes, the divider rolled down and the man who was driving glanced back at Anya.

"Just as an FYI, we're going to be pulling up to him in a minute."

"Thanks," Anya said. She let go of Selené's hand. "Sorry, we just—"

"I know," Selené said.

She shrugged out of Anya's jacket and passed it back over to her, turning to watch the trees go by. Anya slipped the jacket back on, posture stiffening next to her. Just like that, she was back to bodyguard-mode.

Selené didn't think she had ever been this far out in the county before.

"Who... who's the guy driving? Won't he—"

"He's my friend," Anya said. "Don't worry about him. He's cool."

The car turned into a driveway that led to a clearing. There, a large mid-century house stood. In front of it, Trey was waiting, his hands casually in his pockets. At first glance, he didn't look mad. In fact, as he came into view, he looked happy. Selené breathed a sigh of relief.

Once the car rolled to a stop, Trey opened the back door and pulled Selené out.

"Hey," he said.

He was smiling like he was proud of something he'd done. She forced a smile back at him, but it didn't reach her eyes. At least this meant he wasn't going to kill her.

At least, not today.

"Uh, hey!" she said. "Where are we?"

He glanced back over his shoulder, arms stretched wide. "This is your wedding present."

"This... this house?"

"Yeah!" he said. "I knew a friend who was selling it, and I thought you'd love it."

"Oh wow," she said, blinking up at it. It wasn't anything like the houses he usually bought. "I wasn't expecting something like this."

"Well, come on," he said, grabbing her wrist a little bit tighter than necessary. "Let me show you the inside."

As he pulled her, she glanced back at Anya. She was chatting casually to the man who had driven them there, and she saw him hand over a pack of cigarettes through the window.

She tried to hide the disappointment she felt at having to leave Anya to spend time alone with Trey. Selené eyed him nervously as he tapped a code into the door and pushed his way inside.

It was a spacious, open concept house, but with a vintage sort of charm instead of the usual sleek minimalism Trey liked. It was surprisingly bare bones. Only a few pieces of furniture were scattered around, almost like they had been thrown into the space in a hurry.