Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 13

Anya slept on the sunken couch in the living room that night and woke up early in the morning before Selené. She was tired, having stayed up most of the night, thinking about the woman she couldn't have and shouldn't want.

She knew she should have said something differently to Selené. She should have done more to reassure her. Every time she tried to convince herself to put it out of her thoughts and get some sleep, her mind circled back around.

Anya wondered what it was she had done that had scared Selené so bad.

She knew she shouldn't be feeling that. She shouldn't be trying to think of ways she could gain the trust of her boss's wife. If anything, she should have been relieved that Selené backed off at the last minute.

Wasn't Anya in deep enough already?

There was nothing in the world she could do that would make pursuing Selené turn out well. Someone was going to get hurt. More likely, someone would get killed. Anya couldn't bear the thought of putting Selené's life in danger.

Wouldn't the best outcome be one where they all lived?

Trey called Anya not long after the sun came up to check in on things. It wasn't unexpected. From what Anya could tell, he called her more often than he did Selené. It was becoming obvious that he didn't have Anya there just to talk to Selené.

"I need you to drive Selené to a bridal shop at noon to try on her dress," Trey said as Anya peered into the fridge in the kitchen. Empty. "I'll text you the address."

"Is it okay to leave her alone for a little bit?" she asked. "I'm hungry, and there's nothing to eat here. She's not awake yet."

"Just make sure it's not longer than an hour," he replied.

Anya left for the store and returned half an hour later with a few bags of groceries. When she walked into the kitchen, she found that Selené was already awake. She stood in the doorway, wearing the same clothes she'd worn yesterday. Anya assumed she had fallen asleep in them.

From the look on her face, it seemed like she didn't get much sleep, either.

"What were you doing?" Selené asked.

"I was shopping," Anya said, dangling the bags. "I'm hungry and there's nothing here to eat here. I thought you might be hungry too."

"Oh. Thanks," Selené said.

She stood nervously by the kitchen counter, chewing on her plump bottom lip. It was obvious from her demeanor that Selené didn't want to come any closer to her.

Anya glanced at her, but quickly looked away, doing her best not to seem too concerned about it. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Selené said. "You left, so I was just worried I'd made you mad at me."