Chapter 1: All That Remains

"Sire...sire, can you hear me? Sire...are you there?"

The sky was littered with stars; big stars so close he felt as though he could reach out and touch them, small stars so distant he could barely make out their existence by the flickering of dying candlelight. There were no clouds this late for the storms had passed early on and were long blown out to sea, far beyond the skull-headed rock (still a ghastly thing that he could not understand its purpose). It was only him and his work.

Everything was as it should be.

Until the frantic cries of his student flooded the night and he turned to see the green-clad fairy come rushing through his front door (really, he needed to remember to start locking it more often to prevent this sort of behavior. It was something he would expect from a fairy). 

With a loud sigh, he looked up from his studies to meet the panicked expression of the female as she danced back and forth, shifting her weight from leg to leg and looking positively ready to burst. "Yes, what is it now, Char? Can't you see I'm busy?" He waved a hand to the books.

He was so close.

The spell was nearly perfected.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness!" Char exclaimed, bowing once, twice, three times apologetically. "But we come with news from the fairy kingdom!"

"Starlight?" he scoffed. "What does she want this time?"

"It's something about one of her subjects," Char went on, sounding almost as disbelieving as him. "Apparently one of them has...the gift?" She trailed off here, but he didn't let her stop, rocketing from his chair almost as if he had been electrocuted. 

"One of them...can do it?" he exclaimed. "They can actually control the fire?"

Char nodded. "That's what her report says. Now, I know that pixies and fairies haven't really gotten along well in the past but--"

He waved her off, already rushing to the door to grab his things. "No time for that now! We must go to Fairy's Hollow right away! This fire-wielder may just have the answers that we need! Tell me more! What does Starlight say about them?"

"Uh, well," Char said, running after him and ducking under the tethered crow's wings as her king already began his mount. "Her name is Scarab and apparently this isn't the only force of nature she can control."

_________________________________________________________

The sun poured down all across Tinker's Nook, pushing through the cracks and shadows and cascading into the workshop where the tinker guild could be found dutifully sewing and stitching the last required items for the summer trip to the mainland arriving very soon. Everyone was fluttering about, anxious and excited for the upcoming season, and no one more so than the spazzing, prone-to-panic head of the Guild herself.

"Hurry up! Get those bags filled up all the way!" Fairy Mary instructed, waving wide gestures to the mound of tools and equipment for the nature talents, and Angus and Lucinda scrambled to obey. "We've got a lot of work yet to do, everyone, so there's no time for dilly-dallying!"

"Hungh!" Tinker Bell grunted, heaving an armload of acorn caps onto the table and flopping herself down on a toadstool to stare as Fairy Mary rushed past and on to bark orders to the fairies on delivery. "Is it just me or is Fairy Mary a little more high-strung than usual today?"

Her guildmates glanced up from their projects at the next table over; Clank looking to follow his guildhead's nervous mutterings and Bobble lunging to grab a fleeing acorn as he did.