Chapter 13: Retribution and Retaliation

"That's enough," Scarab repeated, steeling her voice as she raised her spear defensively before the three pixies. She gritted her teeth and planted her feet, knowing they would not wait long to make the first move. She would then only have a matter of moments before they saw into her mind and knew exactly what her plan was. She needed to stall them for as long as possible and give Shade time to get the others to safety. 

She would be fine. It wasn't her that they needed.

"Hello, Scarab," Varnas spat, stopping Hazeer's move to attack with a single motion. His third-in-command drew short immediately, weapon still at the ready. Scarab was poised the same just in case either of them decided to get twitchy. "It's been a long time."

"Not long enough, Varnas," she fired back. "I thought we agreed that our kind would never have to cross paths again which makes me wonder what you and your...goons--"

"Hey!" Hanna protested, indignant. 

"--are doing out here so far away from your little rock in Neverland," Scarab went on as though she hadn't been interrupted. "And what you think you're doing attacking my friends like that. You could have hurt them!"

"Scarab, Scarab, Scarab," Varnas sighed, swinging his spear around for a thoughtful moment before sheathing it to his belt and signaling for Hazeer to do the same. "I'd thought you would have learned by now; we don't hurt innocents when they give us what we want. When someone decides to get brave, however," he smirked, waving a hand in the direction Bobble had fled the first opportunity he had been given, "and decides to give a pathetic attempt at playing hero, that's when things can get ugly fast."

"They're just a bunch of kids!" Scarab pleaded. "Please, Varnas, this is about me, not them! Not him!"

"Then they all should know how to stay out of things that don't concern them," he snapped. 

"They mean you no harm!" 

"Then it won't be hard to take the bracelets back from them!" he fired back. "That is far too much power for a fairy to wield! I've seen his deepest desire and I can assure you, he is not the purest of hearts. No one who holds on to that kind of selfish longing can be. You know what the bracelets are capable of and you know history will repeat itself unless we stop it now."

"And how exactly do you intend to 'stop it'?" Scarab retorted. "Taking the bracelets back and destroying them is one thing, but threatening fairies who have done nothing to you is something entirely different! And I won't stand by and allow you to go after those kids any longer. They are my friends and I will protect them!"

"I see that your allegiance hasn't changed," he growled. "Even after all these years. I am unsure whether to applaud you for that or feel pity that you still hold on to the fanciful belief of fairies being good. Because, I can assure you, they are not."

"And how would you know that?" Scarab snapped. "You've been hiding from the rest of the world for years! You've never even given anyone a chance!"

"I GAVE YOU A CHANCE!" Varnas screamed. "And HOW well did that turn out for me, Scarab? You betrayed us, just like everyone else! Where were you when we needed you? When I needed you?" He pointed furiously back in the vague direction of the fairy camp. "You chose them over me! I gave you an opportunity! I gave you everything!"

"You gave me nothing!" Scarab retorted. "What were my options? To join you and turn my back on my own kind? On the fairy I cared about? I couldn't do that, Varnas, and it was not your decision to make!"