Chapter 19: Light of the Shadow

"Clarion, where are we going?" Spurn called, fluttering low amongst the grass, watching as his sister glided a little further ahead, anxiously scanning the meadow for any signs of a human residence...or more accurately, for any of the fairies they had come urgently to find. Clarion had informed him of the drastic events that had taken place upon the fairies' arrival to the mainland and, leaving the Ministers to deal with the summer change, the two had set out immediately in search of Tinker Bell and her friends. 

They had planned to go and visit the humans, Spurn recalled, something that he would never have envisioned any fairy doing, but apparently, this little girl and her father were different. They believed in fairies...and somehow were friends with them. Well...he did have to admit, he hadn't known the group of eight for very long, but they did have a...way...of doing things that most would consider impossible. 

"Typically," Clarion had explained the first time he had heard of such crazy misadventures, "Tinker Bell is the one leading the others blindly into trouble. It's quite an odd turn of events to see Phineas borrow some of that same misfortune, but, perhaps, that is exactly what we should have expected from him."

"He's in love with her," Spurn had pointed out. "Surely that must count for something in this scenario, right?"

"We saw it with Shade and with Scarab," she agreed reluctantly. "Love is a powerful emotion. There is no telling what might become of it...or what its effects might be."

Of course, it was love, the most fairy-like of all emotions. It would be just like Scarab and Shade, history repeating itself, but perhaps this time, perhaps this time they warned him of the dangers such power could contain. This time for sure, there would be no way the same mistake would be made twice. 

"It shouldn't be too far from here," the queen replied, frowning at the distant rumbles of thunder (why did it feel like it was always storming anymore?). "Tinker Bell said it was just across the meadow somewhere."

"Yes," Spurn said patiently. "But Tinker Bell wasn't expecting you to have to come searching for them either." 

"None of us were expecting any of this," Clarion reasoned. "Starlight said the pixies were gone. Clearly, she lied about that, and I'm afraid...what else has she lied about? Varnas is alive, Spurn."

"Yes, I know."

"Alive, after all this time. And there's no telling what he'll do if he finds Scarab and Shade before we do."

"That's not going to happen," Sprun promised. "We are going to get to them first, Clar. They're going to be okay, okay?"

"None of this is okay," Clarion moaned. "The pixies, the Protectors, Scarab, Phin, why couldn't this have been solved when everything was still easy to understand? Why now must we deal with the repercussions of a twisted game that no one wanted to play in the first place?"

"Starlight made a mistake," Spurn agreed. "One of many, I'll admit. She should have told everyone the truth, I don't deny that, but Starlight isn't here anymore. You're the Queen of Pixie Hollow now. Show Varnas that, let him see that you are not the same as your predecessor. Scarab once befriended him. It can be done."

"Yes," Clarion whispered as another crackle of lightning lit up the heavens. "I only hope we're not too late."

___________________________________________________________________________

As the storm drew on, he flickered in and out of consciousness. Each moment of awareness brought a wave of pain crashing over him, a reminder of the fierce battle and the risks he had taken; perhaps too many and too massive to count. He had been stupid, he had put his friends in danger for what? To prove a point? Because he had allowed Varnas to rile him up with some kind of pixie mind game? No, no that would be taking the easy way out, blaming it on the corrupted magic of the pixie and not his own selfish desires. He had wanted to fight Varnas. He had wanted to prove himself strong enough to be called a Protector.