Chapter 16: Crocodile Tears

"Oh, my dear Hollow!" Hyacinth cried, the first to fully process the destruction. Cinders from the remnants of the carts blew to the heavens and fairies desperately flitted about, filling bucket upon bucket to pour over the flames while the water-talents worked to prevent any further spreading. 

"By the second star," Redlead exclaimed. "What happened here?"

The ministers were close behind Queen Clarion, all staring out at the destruction with equally distressed confusion. Where had all of this fire come from? Where was the one responsible for this disaster? And why oh why would anyone intentionally set something so simple on fire if not to make some kind of horrible point?

"It...it was an accident...wasn't it, Your Majesty?" 

Clarion's first instinct was to say yes, to agree, to do everything possible to throw her loyal subjects from her trail, but then she had to steady her concerns and remember; no more secrets. They knew about the Protectors--about what Phineas had done--but this...this was something different, something older and much more powerful than the tinker fairy, something she had only heard of in storybooks and in the fears of Starlight's fits of madness.

"Don't let them come here!" the former queen had shrieked upon her last hours within the Hollow. "They'll destroy us all! They caused all of this! They cursed the fairy race, you cannot trust them! NEVER! They'll ruin everything that we have worked to build! They created the multi-talented and they will use them to ruin us!"

Clarion had never believed her worries, for Starlight had made many enemies in her time as ruler, but she did know it would be unwise to remain oblivious to the existence of pixies and what their plans might have been, involving the new branch of talents and the fairies chosen to wield it. 

Varnas was the king of those pixies, she recalled, Starlight met him once. I remember him coming to the Hollow, though I never did get a good look at him.  She didn't want anyone to know that pixies existed. She was afraid it would destroy the balance if anyone ever found out.

And that's exactly what happened. 

But why was Varnas here now? Did it have something to do with Scarab and Shade's return? The missing bracelet? That was still the single piece of the puzzle that did not align with the rest. How did the pixies and the...what had Tinker Bell called them? The Bracelets of Destiny? Yes, that was it. How were the pixies and the bracelets connected? And how was Phineas involved? 

She sighed. Once again, the reckless tag-team of fairies had managed to get themselves into the very center of a conflict a thousand times greater than them with no apparent means of escape, only this time, it hadn't been Tinker Bell who had led them blindly into the fray.

Perhaps the pixies should have made a special talent just for absurd, sheer, dumb luck. 

"Your Majesty? Are you alright?" 

She blinked, wrenched out of her own circling thoughts and drawn once again into the insanity of the blazing clearing. "I'm...I'm sorry, Ministers," she said slowly. "I don't know what just happened...I..." She paused, taking a deep breath and focusing herself on the here and now. "I do not believe this was an accident, but I'm afraid I have little more time to explain it right now. There is someone I need to find. Can you handle the last of those cinders for me?"

"Uh..." Redleaf blanched. "Of course we can, Queen Clarion, but--"

"Now don't worry about me," the Queen said, smiling grimly, knowing how truly concerned he was. "I'm not about to do anything reckless, I promise. I only need to speak with one of my fairies. I just want to be sure that you are alright before I go."