Chapter 8: The Storm After the Calm

Cherry blossoms waved in the breeze, throwing their buds to the wind and sending them whirling to the earth and casting thin shadows across the endless meadow. The grass now parted, creating just enough room for the fairies to comfortably make their way through the foliage. Up ahead was a large cluster of rocks--pebbles, really--and that was where Lizzie had promised to meet them upon her arrival.

"And then, of course, we had to go look at the horseless carriage!" Tink was explaining, articulating with the biggest, most excited gestures imaginable. Behind her, her friends smiled knowingly but did not attempt to derail her story. "I mean, can you imagine! A cart that runs on lightning!"

"It's a car," Clank reminded her. "That's what Lizzie called it. Apparently, the humans have a lot of them now."

"And she's allowed to drive it?" Shade asked in wonder. He was probably wondering how it would be possible for him to drive it. That seemed like a very tinker-ish question to ask, despite the fact that there was no way he would be able to reach the peddles.

"Ehhh, I don't think so," Silvermist corrected. "But her dad definitely can."

"Trust us," Tink laughed, coming back and pushing her way between Shade and Scarab and throwing her arms around their shoulders. "You guys are going to absolutely love it here. There's so much to see and explore and Lizzie loves telling us about her world."

"And in exchange, we tell her about ours," Rosetta agreed. "Well, at least what we can without giving away too many of our secrets. 'Cause we all gotta have a few of those, don't we?" She grinned at the group.

Shade laughed and Scarab stared down at a beetle as it scurried past.

"Well!" Iridessa interjected, fluttering on ahead and settling on one of the higher-up boulders. "This is the place! We told Lizzie we would meet her here when the seasons changed. Now, does anyone see the fairy house?"

"'Fairy house'?" Shade echoed, hurrying over to join her and peer up at the blossoming tree expectantly. "What's that? Another human thing? How do they know where fairies live?"

Rosetta chuckled. "Oh my, ya really are a tinker, aren't ya? Curiosity and everything!"

"Of course he is," Fawn remarked, trekking over to join them and hoisting herself onto the rocks as well. Shade blinked down at her in surprise but shifted over to make room. "Doesn't he just embody the definition of the tinker-talent guild?" She gestured boldly with her hands.

"Only if that definition involves sloppy hairstyles and the dressing skills of a mutilated avocado," Vidia commented, folding her arms as Clank and Sil hurried to enter the clearing as well.

Well, Tink mused, noting the clash of gray and green dashed across his outfit--the telltale sign of a Protector combined with his natural talent. It's not an entirely inaccurate description.

"Oh, come now, Vidia," Rosetta scoffed, waving the fast-flyer off. "Don't be like that. We all think Shade looks very handsome, don't we?"

"Be careful how you choose to answer that," Scarab warned, a twitch of a smile brushing her lips.

"Oh, don't worry, Scarab. He's only got eyes for you, after all, " Fawn laughed.

"Hmmph, he'd better," Scarab remarked. "Since I'm the one who kicked his rear, destroyed him at every argument, and convinced him to come on this trip in the first place."

"Yes, but that's because it's you, sweetheart," Rosetta remarked. "I don't think Shade lets just anyone else beat him at checkers...ten times in a row."