Chapter 18: The Heart of the Battle

Before the words had even left her mouth, Tink realized the consequences of what she had done. Every ounce of remaining fight fizzled immediately from Bobble and Varnas scowled, letting go of his collar and letting the sparrowman faint. The tinker didn't try to break his fall, in fact, it was impossible to tell if he was conscious at the collapse, but it caused an immediate spark of anger that Tink hadn't known she could feel.

"I said, leave him alone!" she yelled.

Beside her, Iridessa was already moving, calling the reflection from the sun in the nearby pond to her hands. "Stand back!" she snapped. "If Bobble can use the light as a weapon, so can I! I just have to...concentrate!" She took a deep breath, swinging her arms like she had seen the Protectors do, and the light crackled ominously like fireworks. 

"Wait, what are you--" Hazeer began, but his confusion was quickly overshadowed by the ball of energy whistling past his head and bursting into a hundred pieces in the grass.  "Hey, what was that?" He spun back to Dessa. "How did you do that?"

"Shouldn't you know?" Vidia scoffed, arched eyebrow already matching her disbelief, "if you're the ones who give out talents in the first place?"

"I...that's not how talents work!" he argued. "One cannot simply--"

"Do what?" Fawn interrupted, shoving her way forward and getting up into his face. "Fight to protect their friends? Their family? Is that something you think only a pixie can do? Huh? Are you saying fairies aren't capable of having emotions, because, buddy, I think you're about to see some emotion!"

"Everyone, stop!" Hanna screamed, dropping her argument with Scarab and zipping out in front of the two dueling multitalented, cutting off Varnas, throwing out her arms and shielding Bobble from her king. "Varnas, this has gone too far! We were only here to get the bracelets back, remember?" She nodded pointedly toward the golden loop in his grasp. "We have what we came for so let's go. Please." Her eyes drifted to the unresponsive fairy in the dirt behind her. "We don't need more blood on our hands."

Varnas growled, grabbing her spear and thrusting her aside, vengeance flaming in his eyes. "It's fairies like him who destroyed everything!" he spat. "We trusted Pixie Hollow to the fate of the so-called chosen ones, and look where that got us! We lost everything because of him!"

"He didn't do anything to you!" Scarab bellowed, helplessly watching from the sidelines. Without any powers, there was nothing she could safely do to intervene. "He's just a kid, Varna-"

"Stop telling me that!" the pixie howled, turning in her in fury. "STOP SAYING HE DOESN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR WHAT HE DID--WHAT YOU ALL DID!" The fire leaped into the palms of his hands and Hanna blanched, backing away and spreading her butterfly-like wings to shield Bobble from the heat. "Your kind ruined us, drove us the ends of the earth, and then, if that wasn't enough, they cursed us, left us to rot, and not one of the Protectors--the ones we had created to keep everyone safe--not one of them came to our aid! Fairies ruined our kind, so I think it's only fair that we return the favor!"

"Varnas, no!" Hanna pleaded, and ice sprung through the grass around her, forming a thin barrier between herself, Bobble, and the rest of the clearing. "This isn't the way! Think about what you are doing! What if he were your guildmate? What if this were Spin? Or Spark? Or Tawny? Is this how you want the fairies to remember you? By killing an unarmed tinker who barely could put up a fight? All because you didn't know how to ask for something nicely?"

"I asked nicely for the bracelet!" Varnas snapped. "I said it was ours in the first place! He had no right to take it from Kyto! It was there to protect him! And now look where that has gotten us! The multi-talented is no warrior. He couldn't protect Neverland from anything, let alone learn to wield the bracelet's power. It's already consumed him, don't you see that?" He turned to face the waiting fairies as Iridessa prepared another ball of light and Silvermist began searching desperately for a ripple of water to manipulate. "The powers of the bracelets were never designed to be used by inexperienced beings--and certainly not by the likes of runts with only half a fever dream of ever defending anyone."