Chapter 10: Turning the Tides

The forest was alive, basking in the glorious afternoon sunshine. Birds were singing throughout the treetops and she found their music soothing as she strolled through the foliage, her gaze fixated on the fleet-footed creature grazing just past the next cluster of bushes. This was an imperative moment, one that could not be broken without the bonds of trust shattering. 

"Come on," she breathed, brushing aside a fern and inching closer to the buck. "Just a little bit more."

The speckled deer paid her no mind, flicking a lazy ear as he ate.

"Easy," the fairy muttered, now sidestepping a tangle of briars and crossing the threshold into the mammal's line of sight "Just keep doing what you're doing and pay no attention to me and we will be allllll good."

The deer's head perked up at her footsteps and she slowed her pace immediately, holding her breath and waiting. 

Just a little bit more. Come on, let me get close this time.

The fawn went back to grazing.

She carefully stepped into the clearing, rotating her hands supine and non-aggressively. "All right," she murmured to herself. "You can do this. Remember what you've practiced. Approach with caution. Do not startle the animal. Make sure they do not feel threat--"

Something heavy came down hard against the earth behind her, snapping a stick and immediately alerting the deer to the danger. Its head rocketed up and she froze as two chocolate brown eyes honed in on her immediately.

"Oh, fluff bunnies," she muttered, already bracing herself to zip away if the need would arise.

The buck took off like a shot in the opposite direction, tail waving the warning to the breeze.

She groaned, allowing her wings to lower her back to the ground and she ran a hand through her hair. "Not again."

And then she turned toward the unexpected noise--the reason she had failed her mission yet again. "All right," she snapped, folding her arms and glaring firmly at a particularly offending bush. "I know you're there. You've already ruined my practice so you might as well go ahead and come out where I can see you."

No one came forth, but she could tell that she was being watched. She shifted her weight to her other foot and continued to glare. "You know, I'd really like to blast you out of that hiding place and make you talk to me, but I'm feeling generous today, so why don't we skip the whole stalker syndrome and you just get to the part of what you want and why you're here and we can pretend that this whole conversation never happened, yeah?"

Stillness.

And then a faint rustle and a quiet voice rose above the call of the wildlife. "Your talents. They aren't working...are they?"

She froze. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes, actually, you do. You can't communicate with the animals; a gift you have always possessed, am I right?"

"Uh, I'm a garden fairy," she reasoned, gesturing to her dress.

"Uh-huh, and you think I wouldn't recognize someone with as much power and creativity as yourself? You're a Protector, right?"

She tensed. "How do you know what that means?"

"Because...I'm a Protector too."

He stepped from the shadows, the sunlight reflecting off of the blondest sparrowman she had ever laid eyes on. He was dressed from head to toe in tan and gray--the first she recognized as animal-talent, the latter was unknown to her--but there was just something about him that seemed...familiar. Like she had met him before...and it definitely wasn't the walking stick twice the size of him.