Chapter 17: Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

The shield flickered, blue light faint against the pressure emitting from the older beings. The bracelet glimmered a dangerous shade of gold, the reflection glinting from Bobble's goggles, but it did nothing to intimidate the pixies.

"So this was your big plan?" Varnas jeered, gesturing pointedly to the little force field the tinker had managed to create, just barely wide enough to protect himself, and nowhere near massive enough for the nine fairies behind him. "To lure me out here and then challenge me to a one-on-one fight? That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard! Did you actually think you were going to stand any kind of chance against me? I created your powers, little thief. I know every move you can make, so go ahead, try your best. It'll only end up killing you quicker."

"Phineas, what are you doing?" Scarab yelled, pushing her way past Hanna, ignoring the pixie's yelps of protest and zipping toward her guildmate. "You can't fight him! He's way too powerful! You're going to get us all hurt!"

Bobble gritted his teeth, throwing out an arm and letting the swoop of wind knock the girl back. Scarab yelped, skittering out of the way of the magic and landing awkwardly in the grass. "Stay back, Scarab. I can handle this."

"Bobble, no!"

"Scarab, don't get involved!" Hanna pleaded, grabbing her arm before she could run at him again. "Please, just wait a second!"

"Get your hands off of me!" Scarab roared, ripping away from the female and rounding on her furiously. "He's my responsibility, don't you see that? Varnas isn't going to let him walk away from this fight and it's all my fault! I should be the one out there, fighting to protect everyone! Phineas isn't ready!"

"Be that as it may," Hanna responded calmly. "Ready or not, he's challenged Varnas to a duel and you know pixies are forbidden from backing down from a fight."

"But Bobble doesn't know that!" Scarab pleaded. "Please, Hanna, we have to stop them! Varnas is going to kill Phin!"

"He's your Multi-talented, is he not? Do you not trust that he can handle himself? You must, or none of you would have ever made it this far."

"That's not the point!"

Hanna's gaze momentarily flickered to the fairy in genuine surprise. "You don't think he can do it," she realized. "You genuinely don't think he can fight Varnas and win."

"No fairy can beat a pixie in combat!" Scarab snapped deflectively. 

"You did!"

"That was different!" she cried. "Please, Hanna, you don't know what you're asking me to do here!"

Behind her, the others were all attempting to skitter around Hazeer who was finding himself struggling to fend off eight fairies at once.

"Listen here, weird pixie man," Vidia snapped, at the front of the group, a good head taller than Hazeer with the ferocity to match. "Either you let us through or you and I are gonna have some serious words, you understand me? Have you ever gone one-on-one with a fast-flying talent? Because I can assure you, it is not an experience you want to earn."

"Please!" Silvermist added, pushing her way past Clank who was trying his best to shield the girls. "We just don't want our friend to get hurt, that's all! We don't want any trouble!"

"Yeah!" Iridessa piped up. "What if it were your friend out there fighting to protect you? How would you feel then?"

"Varnas would know better than to walk into some measly trap," Hazeer retorted, unmoved by their pleas. "We would never be in danger because he wouldn't let us be. Unlike your friend, Varnas actually knows how to use his magic to protect us."