Chapter 6: A Hollow Reborn

Around midday, the clouds began to pull apart, gracing the fields below with the sun's golden rays and soaking up the early morning dew that had settled upon the leaves. This was a lucky turn of events for him, as the path had been so murky from the overnight showers that he had feared to traverse until it became solid once again. He had no fairy dust, thus he was at a great disadvantage if something were to find him out here all by himself. Ahead, he could see the calming glow of the Pixie dust tree, but for someone his size, that was still a long journey on foot. 

He would have used his powers; in fact, that was the first thing he had tried. But, from the moment he had crossed paths with the baby crocodile (Tick-Tock was his name, apparently. Someone named...Rosetta...had given it to him. Weird name, he thought, for both creature and an animal-talent, but sure), he had felt the energy of his powers slipping away. They had faded entirely soon after, leaving him wondering just what had happened to the bracelets and where his friends were now.

He didn't remember much about that day. He was sure something had gone terribly wrong, for he could recall the faces of the other fairies as he spun to take the collision head-on. He knew he had saved them. He remembered fire...and then nothing else. Had Scarab been the one to throw the fatal blow? That would make sense, he realized. For she had been the deceiver that she had warned them of the entire time.

 Of course, he did not understand why.  Why go through all of the trouble of gaining someone's trust if all you were intending to do was turn and stab them in the back? It did not make sense to him. However, he understood the concept of the bracelets. He knew why she'd done it and he knew why his powers were gone now.

Everything ties back so neatly to those five simple pieces of metal, he mused as he sat on a small log, squinting up at the brightening sky and fiddling with his hastily constructed walking stick. The ones Shade made for her oh so long ago, back before either of them realized the consequences of their actions. He sighed, running a hand through grainy blond hair. Before either of them considered using their talents for evil. 

He still didn't know why or how that notion had come about. When he'd arrived, they'd simply been two fairies. Two ordinary fairies. Madly in love, yes, but not even remotely dangerous of any sort. Something had happened, clicked, changed at some time and when it did...he shuddered to remember the alteration he had seen in their eyes. They'd turned their backs on everything and everyone who had ever cared about them, so set in their ways of betrayal and ruin that no one had been able to stop them. He hadn't been able to stop them. Not him. Not Asha and not Falcon or Willow.

But someone did.

He knew that too. Right before he had been cast aside by the fairies he'd looked up to and respected, he'd warned them of one valuable piece of information--they could lock him away; they could steal his powers, just like they had done to the others--but if the bracelets were ever to be damaged in any way, they would be free to come back and then the two Corrupted would never be able to stop all four of them.

Someone had broken the dragon's spell.

Someone had set them all free.

But how? He exhaled, frowning up at the looming blue of the sky. Scarab had planned everything to a tee. She had known what she needed to do to get what she wanted and she had executed it flawlessly. How had someone figured it out after all this time?

It doesn't matter, he realized. He remembered nothing after her betrayal, but at the same time, he could feel everything. He'd always been the most connected to the balance and until now he had attributed that to his healing talent, but now, stripped entirely from that ability, he did not know why he continued to sense it. What matters is that someone managed it. The bracelets are destroyed. We've been set free.