Chapter 5: A Fairy's Fault

"Now, be sure to check in with each talent's station before you head off to situate your cabins!" some fairy was shouting as the group landed amid the chaos and swarms of hundreds of other fairies all trying to decipher the madness and make their way to their designated locations. There were so many wings and so much shouting that it was difficult for the friends to stick together as they pushed their way through the crowd--already knowing where they were headed so finding no purpose in waiting in line to find out.

"Wow," Iridessa remarked, grabbing Sil's arm before the water-talent could get separated from the rest of the bunch. "I wonder if this is what Lizzie was talking about when she said she went to...uh, what was it called? The thing with the other human children last Autumn?"

"Summer camp?" Tink suggested.

"Yes, that's it! Though...wouldn't that be called Autumn camp?"

"I...don't know. Maybe we could go with her this year and find out!"

"Ah, ha, no," Vidia interjected immediately. "That sounds like a horrible idea, an entire week of being surrounded by children with nowhere to hide and no fairy camp to protect us. We wouldn't last a day in a place like that, especially not with Mr. Heroism-Can't-Fly over here."

"Are ye talkin' about me again, Vidia?" Bobble inquired, vaulting off the back of his dove and trudging over to join them, something that still appeared an odd feet, even after several months. They had all gotten used to and accepted the fact that Zarina would do it, but that was just Zarina. It was...strange to see Bobble just strolling around casually as though he hadn't a care in the world (they knew that wasn't the case, they'd all seen what he could do so easily when provoked or frightened. They'd seen his anxiety and self-berating firsthand) and it wasn't right, but what were they going to do about it? He had made his choice. Between saving himself and the Hollow, he had chosen the Hollow without a second thought...and it had cost him everything

So, how could he just walk around now acting as though nothing was wrong at all?

"Vidia was just commenting on how interesting it would be to see a human summer camp in person," Fawn said innocently, earning a displeased look from the fast-flyer to which Fawn only beamed wider.

"In your dreams, maybe," Vidia scoffed, but that did not keep her from hovering closer with interest as Tink went on excitedly.

"I mean, we're going to be here until the last week of the summer, aren't we?" the blond continued. "And we are here to learn from the humans after all."

"Yes, but that could also be really dangerous." Iridessa put in. "Whether or not you can fly." That was meaningful to all of them and this time, no one glanced in Bobble's direction. "Remember what Lizzie told us? To have that many humans see us...it doesn't seem like a very good idea, Tink."

Tink sighed. "All right," she agreed begrudgingly, shrugging her bag around her wings and trudging firmly on through the crowd of eagerly awaiting fairies. "It was just an idea. Forget I said anything. Come on, let's get settled in and go see Lizzie."

And with that, she pushed her way into the masses and vanished from view, leaving the rest of her friends standing awkwardly behind, sharing uncertain glances.

And then they all looked toward Iridessa.

"What?" the light-talent protested, noticing this. "Someone had to warn her! We can't go to a human's camp, even for one night! We'd be caught for sure! And even if we weren't, Queen Clarion would have our heads for being so risky! We're fairies, not humans! We're not supposed to be seen!"