[ 11 ]

Blotches of blinding light rained down and flashed at Aine's face and she flinched from it, blinking back the discomfort. It was like someone was constantly photographing her with the flash setting on and it was making her distressed. Hundreds of blurred-up figures' hands were extending forward to touch her, wanting a piece of her and she was only getting pushed back further and further until there was no way out. She was cornered and the only thing she could do to shield herself was slapping their hands away in rejection.

Get away... Get away from me!

It wasn't until another pair of arms circled from behind, constricting her under captive so there wasn't anywhere left to run or move. Like a Devil's Snare plant, it tightened her body until she was getting strangled by it the more she struggled. 

Aine's words began to muffle away when a hand snaked across her mouth, clamping it shut and tears prickled her eyes as she watched the madness unfold. The way the many pairs of hands grabbed onto her face roughly and fondled every feature of her face greedily; slowly they made their way over to her widened eyes and covered them, nails digging into her two sockets.

A bloodcurdling scream erupted from Aine's lips and she shook her head to rid of the nails. It was such a gruesome and terrifying experience that she never wanted to experience it ever again.

N... O... NO— STOP!

'Hush now, sweet child...' a familiar voice echoed from the oblivion and the hundreds of hands started to fade away. 'They will never reign over us ever again...' it told her, caressing her face to stroke away her bleeding eyes. Black inky tears flowed down from her damaged eyes and mixed with the scarlet red blood. All Aine heard were the tender lulls, hushing her from her anguished sobs.

Please... Please, no more! No more..!

"NO!" Aine gasps, jolting awake from the horrible nightmare. Her arm was outstretched towards the ceiling, unable to grab and hold onto anything. There was only a deafening stillness and faint murmurings. Although she was back in the world of living reality, darkness continued to blight her vision and she saw nothing but blackness, rendering her to become unsettled and panic-stricken.

She couldn't see anything besides patches of shadows here and there before they started to fade into white. A plain white cast took over the greys and she felt like someone had thrown a cloth over her face. Her breathing quickened with anxiousness and her fingers hastily crawled to her face, feeling a smooth layer of fabric wrapped over her eyes to the back of her head. 

"What... What is this?" she mumbles to herself as she struggles to pry open the tight knot.

Yet with every touch, the cloth only rubs against her partially closed lips and scratches the skin around her eyes, evoking a sizzling painful sensation over it. Aine grimaced at the deepening discomfort but didn't stop doing it even when it hurt her. It was only causing her to be more perturbed knowing that it was blocking her from anything and everything. It was suffocating her even though the blindfold wasn't tied around her neck and breathing features,

She heard the door handle suddenly click and swing open. For a moment, Aine hitches and her entire body froze as though a blizzard had whooshed in. However, her hands were already patting around her bed, under blankets and pillows for her wand, dagger, anything to defend herself with. Then when she realizes she doesn't need a wand to perform magic or a blade to protect herself, she calms down and focuses on the wary shuffling footsteps. Her magic crackled at the ready in her fingertips, reassuring her that she was capable of using it again without any stupid magical binding shackles.

Her head tilts to the side as she listens to every sound. With her sense of sight impaired, it honed the rest of her senses and she depended on them to identify who it was. She could hear the soft nervous breaths coming from the person's nose, the furtive footsteps approaching and heels clicking at every step against the wooden floorboards. She could smell the subtle scent of mahogany, spearmint and apples.