[ 21 ]

"Who's there!"

Draco jolts from his place, one arm caressing the books he was just about to put back in the box while his other hand instinctively reaches to grasp his wand from his pocket. He turned his head to where Aine's dagger had just flown past him towards the window, passing through the sheer curtains and disappearing.

"What? What is it?" he asks, startled by Aine's actions. He exchanged wary looks with her and she spoke to him through her mind.

Someone's here... 

His eyes trailed after Aine when she trod towards the window, steadily following her from behind to watch her back. They focused on their surroundings, ears perking up to make sure they didn't miss a sound and eyes that scanned around them for the tiniest movement. Draco's wand at the ready should someone decide to take them by ambush. 

Aine slowly tugs on the curtains, flipping them open swiftly. However, unlike what she clearly saw earlier, there wasn't anything or anyone behind it. No shadow of a figure— Nothing. The emptiness of what her eyes were looking at deceived what she felt.

She glanced around the window, looking into the horizon as her brows knit together at the feeling she felt. The feeling of someone watching them— Her, was strong, just like the vivid bloodlust that came with it and the lingering moment of a presence with an incredible amount of magic. It was hitting Aine in waves and she could sense it in the air she was breathing; dense but overpowering.

Her pupils drifted down as she held onto the window frame. Her eyes twitched and she tilted her head as her hand brushed across a specific spot. There it was: the subtle warmth like someone had been resting their hand over it.

An inaudible gasp left Aine's lips and Draco turned to her with a nervous gaze. "What? What's wrong?" he asks, shifting his attention to the window ledge that Aine was paying attention to. 

"Someone was here. Just a minute ago, I felt it," she tells him softly, not letting her guard down. She pointed with her chin to the warm spot on the window and Draco touched it, his eyes widening when he realized that she was right.

He gulps before raising his wand, "Homenum Revelio," he utters, casting the Human-presence-revealing charm just in case. A soft white glow of light shone across the space, sweeping across the floorboards and running up to the walls and ceiling, examining every corner of the area. Then it dissipated into smoke after a few seconds, but there was nothing. "It's just us, love," Draco added, not disregarding what Aine had insinuated because he too, felt something.

Uneasiness pollutes the air around them and Aine's guts swirled from the goosebumps formed on her arms. She shuts her lids, allowing the darkness to enhance her other senses to see if she found anything else. She opened them again in a matter of seconds and headed for the door. Her wand circles in the air and all of the papers and books magically tuck themselves back into their respective boxes. By the time she was at the door, the room was as good as new before they made all the mess.

Aine allowed her feet to carry her intuition, she clung to the wisp of magic she sensed and they led her downstairs. Past the kitchen— Beyond the back door— Leading her to her father's grave again.

"Accio," she commanded, summoning the dagger she had just thrown back as she wandered over to Elliot's tomb. She catches it when the knife returns and her face darkens gravely when she sees that the blade has punctured through a white petal. She picks it away and raises it to the sky to have a better look before her gaze falls back to the marble stone with her father's name engraved on it.

Her fingers slide across the cool marble surface, trying to feel for any warmth as she felt earlier in her father's room. There wasn't. She looks back at the flower petal in her hand and naturally, her eyes scrutinized the flower bed surrounding Elliot's resting place. "Hang on, she said, bending down to the bottom of the gravestone.