[ 14 ]

The skies were dark by the time Aine and Aion arrived by the Weasley Burrow. Hand in hand, they appeared in the field of swaying reeds, looming in the shadows of the plants. They stare through the gaps in the crops, their light-coloured hair blending together with the swishing reeds. 

A faint celebratory melody travelled to their ears, the wedding party was in full swing even as the night deepened. The tents were brightly lit with chandeliers made with silks, and pastel blue and purple tapestries draping across the magically lifted roof. Sheer curtains with elegant motif embroideries flowed together with the wind and on each table was an extravagant display of an array of desserts and drinks for guests.

Aine and Aion watch in silence from where they stood, the bride and groom weaving in and out of their group of family and friends, twirling madly as they dance with broad smiles on their faces, a circle of well-wishers all clapping jubilantly. Just the sight of everyone laughing and celebrating giddily with pure exuberance only spread another ripple of cheers amongst the guests and family. 

There was nothing but joy and happiness. Even without the two of them there, everyone was shining so beautifully that Aine's heart fluttered just by seeing them. She wanted to picture the moment with a camera but could only do it with her eyes.

She felt a sharp tingle down her arm, coursing all the way to her fingertips and she peered down at the darkening reed that touched her. Stripped of all colour, drained of all life; it wilted within mere seconds and disintegrated into fine particles that got carried with the wind. There it was again...

Aine's breath hitches and she sub-consciously removed her arm from Aion, afraid that he would end up like the poor reed if she wasn't careful in keeping her powers of Death under control. She shoved her hands in her pocket, it was still best to take some precautions and not cause any trouble today. Today was a great day, she tells herself. It might start out shaky but she was determined to end it on a good note. She swallowed and tried to seethe her magic, preventing it from getting berserk. It always seems to happen whenever she lets her guard down.

Bad things always happen whenever she relaxes too much or allows the defensive walls around her heart down without knowing.

That was who she was: A monster, a plague, an evil entity— Death. She would only taint them if she stayed any longer, yet the sight of her friends smiling made her soft again. She longed to be with them, she craved that familiar sense of warmth, of comfort. But they were on different sides now, no matter how much she tried to pretend that they were not on today.

Aine glanced at her brother, stunned to the ground as he could only gape at the sight of his best friend. Wearing a lavish white dress with delicate black embroidery lace cascading down the side of her dress along with a tiara sitting on top of her silvery-blonde hair. The beaming smile on her face made Aion's lips curl. 

Fleur was exceptionally radiant today, perhaps even the most beautiful he had ever seen her in the past when she was dolled up in pretty dresses for performances. To Fleur's right, stood Celeste, the older Delacour sister and child of the Delacour parents. She was the one who had the lightest hair colour among her siblings, Aine would even believe she was truly a goddess if Aion had told her so. She exudes grace and beauty, rivalling even Fleur's, if not more.

Celeste wore a long champagne-coloured satin dress with golden stars decorating her hair, flowing gracefully to her hips as she swayed with her youngest sister, Gabrielle. 

Oh, how stunning she was as well... Aion thought to himself. His eyes softened at the view of his second family. The family that took him in and raised him when his mother had left, the family that he loved so dearly like his first. His trembling lips curled bitterly at them all and his heart was wrenching inside his ribcage.