[ 33 ]

After figuring out her brother's motives for not returning to the Malfoy Manor from Snape, Aine had to play her part well. 

For the sake of Aion, she had to pretend that he was truly gone and dead when he was actually alive. It was so that the others wouldn't be suspicious and wonder why she wouldn't feel sad especially since she was closest to her brother. It was also he could also continue his search for their mother without having to worry about putting Aine in danger.

To the rest of the Deatheaters and the Dark Lord, Aion Rayne Estoileon was dead. He had drowned in the lake after battling with Cal and having sustained grievous injuries, he lost his life.

But to Aine and Snape, Aion was still alive— Revived, to be exact, with scars that might follow him for as long as he lives. However, it was the fact that Aine's brother was living that she could never be more thankful to her mentor. To Snape whom she was confused about where his true allegiance lies, even when he saved her brother and kept his promise in a twisted way. Though Aine still can't quite figure him out. 

Nonetheless, she decides to let it go for now. Snape was back in Hogwarts and she was back 'home' where her brother no longer belonged. 

It wasn't hard putting on a woeful demeanour after the miracle happened. It still doesn't change that Aion was gone from her side. The heartbreak and emptiness were difficult to look away particularly whenever she walked past his empty bedroom. 

We'll meet again... Aine tells herself as she wraps her hand over her brother's ring resting next to her pendant. There was still warmth in it and it comforted her in his absence.

Her legs naturally took her to Draco's room, wondering how he was doing after the battle. She was worried about not being able to see him much after he found her wandering in the snow. Now that she thought about it, Aine felt guilty again. How could she be so thoughtless about causing problems for those around her? Especially when he barely recovered from the injuries he suffered during the duel.

She was about to knock on his door before realizing that it wasn't even closed fully in the first place. There was a small gap and she decided to take a peek. His back was facing her and he was scrambling around the room, picking and putting things down busily. For a second, Aine contemplated if she should come by another time since he was looking rather preoccupied. Nevertheless, she stood by the door silently and watched him work, not wanting to interrupt.

"Aine! You're awake!" Draco's gasp of relief snapped her from her reverie when he finally turned and saw her at the door. He had been so engaged that he didn't realize she had been up and standing there. He immediately stopped what he was doing and sent her a smile which she returned, but despair lurked behind her eyes, tears threatening to spill again but she kept them in.

Aine looks over his shoulders, catching a glimpse of the Iris flower petals they had found at the Estoileon cottage along with several scribbled parchments being laid out. Draco follows her gaze and picks up the delicate petals scattered on the table before placing them back into the glass vial. 

"I was tracking it," he reveals with an awkward chuckle. "Aion taught me how to do it and I figured someone ought to finish what he started," Draco adds as he walks towards her.

Ever since he had woken up from the injuries he had sustained during the duel, he had heard of what happened during the time he was knocked out. Draco had pushed through his recovery from the poison and wounds and wasted no more before helping the Estoileons find their mother. Beyond the grief and guilt of losing Aion, he focused on what Aine's brother had left behind because he was sure that with just a little more effort, he could complete what the older Estoileon sibling left behind.