[ 40 ]

As the weeks began to pass, so were the seasons. The leaves on the trees around the Malfoy Manor turned crisp and brown, and one by one they started to fall, leaving the branches bare and empty. The scent of autumn lingered from creamy sandalwood to fresh peppermint as winter arrived.

The sounds of crackling firewood continued to fill the large brooding mansion; its warmth flourishing like the aromatic tapestry of trees, mosses and grasses. More cosy blankets made their way onto Aine's room along with candles that give out the sweetest and mintiest aroma, as well as teas that had been made with the leaves she had harvested in the greenhouse alongside Narcissa. She would often alternate between chai, Darjeeling and sometimes ginger, the former which she and Draco had found to like as of late.

After the last party that they had been together and the unexpected circumstances that had brought them closer than ever, Aine and Draco found themselves tangled deeper in the cruel reality once more. Though they could never change their past without sabotaging the future, all they can do is walk forth with their chins high up. They had each other and they believed that if they supported one another along the way, they could get through whatever tribulations put in their way.

News of Maryse's crimes had also been revealed, spreading across the Daily Prophet like wildfire. It was the latest talks bubbling around the witches and wizards. However, it didn't surprise Aine one bit. She was, after all, the one who was behind it all, who paved the pathway for Maryse to pay for his crime by using mind control so that he would confess his deeds. 

It was ruled that Maryse would serve six years in Azkaban followed by paying a massive sum of fine for the thievery he had committed. He was stripped bare of the luxury he had taken for granted and robbed of all the things he had stolen. Lord Maryse relinquished everything the night he came into contact with Aine, everything he had spent half of his life on was lost. The only thing he left to keep was the mere title of a 'Lord' that had no value.

Despite being the main reason Maryse's sins were exposed, Aine felt no remorse for the man's downfall. Anyone who had committed such inhumane acts was bound to reap what they sowed. Karma would always find its way back to those who deserved it and no sinners would ever go unpunished. 

And she was no exception.

The time will come when she has to pay and Aine knows that. It was etched into her mind every day but that didn't stop her from walking down the path of corruption. She had unfinished business and she wasn't done. No matter what others may say, Aine believed that everything she had done was necessary. She had chosen this road because it was what she felt was right.

Even though sometimes it wasn't.

However, it seems that there was still one thing left that weighed heavily on her heart relating to Maryse. Since Maryse was imprisoned, many had gone after the people around him for revenge to pay back the debt. The nobles weren't the only ones who were furious about having cheated by a man who dared to bathe in their riches, it was the Deatheaters of Lord Voldemort's army too. They have been searching for his home and hunting down his acquaintances and family, for the Dark Lord believed that deep down, Maryse was hiding something else others know not. Something more valuable to him that should he not order his men to sift it out for him, it would mean more problems in the future.

The little boy whom Aine and Draco had come to learn was Maryse's nephew was potentially targeted too. An innocent child thrown into the fighting ring of the adults; history has a weird way of repeating its twisted cycles. This time, Aine desperately hoped that she would be able to save the poor soul who had been caught up in the mess. 

As did Draco— Who saw a fragment of his dear childhood Muggle friend, Leo, who had been brutally murdered in cold blood before him, in the innocent boy.