[ 43 ]

A pristine pair of peach-coloured eyes stare with wonder at gold and lilac ones. Upon the mutual friendly greeting the latter had returned, the young boy beamed at the silvery voice spoken by the mysterious lady who appeared before him. It was the first time in a long while that he wasn't attacked or confronted with violence by the opposite. 

Aine wasn't usually one who likes children but she did have a soft spot for them. How humans were once filled with innocence when they were a child, sparkling with awe at almost everything was so fascinating to her. They were such delicate creatures that could be easily corrupted and shattered simultaneously, depending on how they were raised. One moment they could be wide-eyed and curious about the world and the next they could be throwing a tantrum like a spoilt brat or even planning to conquer the world. 

Perhaps it was also from how there was an ancient being nestled within her: a God, a reaper— Death, that somehow awoken some sort of strange maternal instincts in the Estoileon lady for children, especially. In the eyes of Death, all life was seen as children no matter how old they were. 

Above all, who wouldn't like an obedient and courteous child? As much as Aine adores children, she did have a preference for well-behaved ones. Although playful and mischievous they were equally fun to interact with. In the end, it all depends on their characters.

The child before Aine was certainly pure to the core despite the dark hardships he had been put through even at a young age. It was a rare thing since many would have chosen to be spiteful, bitter and furious at the world if they were to go through the same trials. It astonished Aine how the boy had harboured little to no ill feelings in his heart.

"Are you a ghost?" the boy squeaked out of nowhere. He was still looking at Aine from a distance, itching to come closer and have a better glimpse of her. With the Dark Lord's daughter's pale complexion and snow-white hair that was like the sun rays being woven into threads and her odd-coloured eyes, she looked like a mystical being to him. He had never seen anyone so beautiful yet mysterious and with her beguiling nature, he was getting drawn into her. 

Aine bursts out into tiny giggles at his question and she covers her laugh. He was throwing her off-guard with the questions and behaviour he had displayed to her. "Who knows?" she replies, playing along with him.

She tilted her head to the side and stole a peek at the blood-red coloured flowers in front of his shoes. There was a glint in her eyes and she hummed to herself, her smile faltering to a frown for a split second.

The boy followed her line of vision to the flowers, then his peach-coloured pupils wandered back to her. "Are you interested in them too?" he asked and she smiled in response. 

She definitely was. Both the secret of the flower and the effects it has. 

"They're wonderful, aren't they?" he added whilst keeping his hands to himself, he wanted to gather them into a bouquet but he resisted the thought of damaging the flower by removing it from the ground. He hated to kill beautiful things just because he wanted to keep them. He went on mumbling to himself as he admired the way the red petals faded to a magenta pink when the sunlight hit. "I wonder if my sister likes them too? Do you think she would? They look just like her eyes!" he expressed excitedly, bubbling with sheer happiness at the insignificant thing in the vast forest.

Aine hid a smirk at his words. She already knew that he was the brother of a person she had been finding for a long while but his self-proclaimation that he has a sister only further backed up her assumptions. Not to mention, finding a young child out here in the same location where Riley had heard the wanted fugitive, Lykioz Hale, was no coincidence. 

He was the little brother of Lilith Hale.

Nevertheless, Aine took a step to make sure her claims were entirely accurate. "Sister? Are you perhaps... Lykioz Hale?" she dared to ask, taking the risk.