[ 39 ]

(Trigger Warning: Torture, Death)

Draco's eyes twitched at the faint sounds of arguments muffling in the distance, he didn't know whether it was happening or if it was just all in his head. All he knew was that as soon as his lashes fluttered open and the first light greeted him, the noise had diffused away like a bad dream and he had forgotten about it right when he saw her.

Sitting on the armchair by his bed and resting her head on the side of the soft mattress was his beautiful lady. Her hand was still laced in his tightly even in her sleep, as though she hadn't just let go when she was off to finish her other errands before. Her glossy long wavy locks fell in her eyes and melted with the white silky sheets. She scrunched her nose when the soft wind blew in and tickled her face, soundly asleep.

The Malfoy man's vision started to clear up after a couple of blinks and he gazed at Aine with affection blooming in his eyes. As he wondered how long it had been since he was put to sleep, his fingers gently brushed away her white locks disturbing her sleep and he softened. It must have been uncomfortable to be sleeping like that all night... He thought to himself.

Except that it wasn't. 

Aine had only come back just four hours ago after she had settled scores with Maryse. Just as she promised that she would be back before he woke up.

Upon Draco's touch, Aine started to stir for a bit, brows pushed together as her forehead creased. She peeks open one eye and a sleepy smile tugged on her lips, "Hi..." she greeted sheepishly as she propped herself upright. 

"Good morning, love," Draco greeted back with a small grin, his voice raspy and low. He took a sip of the glass of water that Aine handed him and went back to admiring her.

She shot him a look, still drowsy from the fatigue that she was not ready for his morning flirtiness. 

"Why did you sleep in such a weird position? Your limbs must be aching," he commented, lightening the mood to delay talking about what he vividly remembered happened. 

"My limbs are alright, Draco. It's only been a few hours," she reassured him with a pat on the hand as she updated him about the status of the ordeal she had with Maryse. 

Regardless, her lover wasn't exactly pleased with her lying awkwardly while he was peacefully sleeping on his plush bed. So without hesitation, he swoops her into the king-size bed with his strong arms to offer her some comfort. Aine nearly shrieked aloud when he suddenly did it out of nowhere, her heart leaping out of her chest.

Unable to hide her blushing face, she avoided eye contact with Draco. "H.. How are you feeling now?" she asked, trying to change the topic as her cheeks heated up like her ears. 

"Honestly, I am still feeling a little tired but I'm okay now," he snickered, watching her trace imaginary shapes on the blanket's surface as she calmed her shy self.

"You gave me quite a scare last night," she confessed, feeling her heart waver and her fingers tremble again when she pictured how harrowed Draco was. To witness him fall apart almost completely yesterday and how utterly lost she was when she almost couldn't help him. 

"I'm sorry, Aine..." the platinum blonde-haired man muttered apologetically. He never meant for her to see that side of him, nor did he intend to have her worried. Draco just didn't know why the feelings and emotions that he had suppressed for years came back when he saw that little boy being tortured by Maryse. He thought he was fine since the attacks had stopped relapsing, but what he didn't know was that he merely pretended that he moved on.

He simply pushed the guilt back deep down into his abyss so he could live normally again.

Aine turned to him and cupped his cheek, his skin wasn't feverish anymore. She gazed sadly into his orbs and drew him back up as he peered into hers. "What did you see that makes you so distressed like that?" she asked, genuinely curious and yet concerned. It wasn't usually her problem to pry into his personal affairs but it was different this time. She wanted to help him, whatever demons he was facing alone, Aine wanted to be there for him just as how he was always there for her.