[ 31 ]

Aine's lids fluttered weakly as she woke up with her head splitting apart, her eyes daring to roll up but she held herself together and pushed through the pain. A shadow loomed over the side of her bed and she squints through her hazy vision. "Aion..?" she croaked out.

As her sight regained its clarity, there was no shadow. It was only her imagination and she was alone— All alone. It felt like Deja Vu. The events replayed in her head when she recalls what happened. The sheer shock triggered her to lose herself once more slowly.

Just moments ago, she saw her brother when her eyes closed, calling out to her so painfully; so dearly that tears started to form again. 

Lianna... Lianna...

She could still hear his voice echoing inside her head.

Aine curled up in her bed and brought her knees to her chest to hug it. The room was void of light with the curtains closed shut, and unlit candles. The silence stayed longer than any shadows, reminding her how alone she was. The only sounds were her occasional sniffles as tears flood uncontrollably from her eyes for the hundredth time.

She stares at the bleak oblivion that calls for her, luring her into it. Then, almost in a trance, her swollen eyes drifted down to the broken wand of her brother's laid in front of her. Next to him was his heirloom ring which had been separated from its owner. The one he always wore around like an amulet to protect him. She reaches towards the delicate remnants and clasps them in her hands, burying her face into them as she sobs.

Again— Aine lost someone she held dear for. Someone who gave her hope, love and light. A brother who stood by her side thick and thin, who gave her the reason she dares to fight all odds for, who gave her meaning to keep living— Now, gone.

Her heart tightens in her chest, an excruciating pain bursting through each beat; one she felt when her father died. The same anguish that was so horrible that it felt like someone was ripping her heart into shreds and crushing whatever remained. She wanted to scream, to destroy something, to free her wrath but it won't bring her peace. She'd tried it before, but it didn't work, not a second did Aine feel at ease after letting it out. 

Nothing hurts more than losing a loved one and a family. The last piece of kin she had left who was always there by her side was gone and she never felt more alone.

Her shoulders tremble as she lets out soft muffled cries. She was angry at the world, heartbroken and in denial but most of all, she was vengeful.

The powers inside her crackle within her, radiating from her grief. The monster deep within dying to be unleashed to rain hells on earth as she once did in the drawing room. Aine wanted to annihilate them all, she wanted all of them to pay back a thousandfold, especially from two beings. Cal and the Dark Lord who calls himself her father. 

Aine wanted her brother back— She wanted Aion back.

But those dead can never be brought back to life. That was the most common and basic principle of mortal life and death.

Even though she was Death, the very entity that controls the dead and has the power to bring back life, there was a heavy price she had to pay. As did anyone who dares to tamper with the world's natural balance. Bringing someone back doesn't guarantee that the deceased will come back to be who they once were when they were alive, they will be nothing more than a shade. 

Just like in the Tale of the Three Brothers, Cadmus Peverell uses the resurrection stone to bring back the girl he loved whom he wanted to marry before her untimely death. Yet, in the end, she only grew sad and cold, for she did not belong to the mortal world.