[ 32 ]

Brows knitted together and eyes fluttering, Aine peers into Snape's mind to revisit the memories of her brother that her mentor had allowed her. The last scene that she saw from Cal's head continued onwards in Snape's recollections.

Aion's body was pulled out from the freezing lake and dragged to the snowy shore. His face was pale and his lips were purple, the blood was still oozing out of his stab and battle wounds, dyeing the ground crimson. His chest remained still and his heart was beating, albeit shallow and slow, it was losing its rhythm.

Snape quickly dries his soaked clothes before casting a heating charm over his and Aion's bodies so they won't get hypothermia. He checked the younger man's pulse and breathing and clicked his tongue when it was getting fainter. Knowing that time was of the essence and that any longer he dawdles around, Aion was truly going to die and he would never let that happen. 

He contemplated for a few seconds, clearing his head from thinking of any thoughts that would only make him more paranoid. His deep dark eyes scanned Aion's body, one hand pressed on his flesh to make sure his pulse didn't falter. Although Snape was a master potioneer, he was also proficient in healing, especially wounds inflicted by Dark Arts. But that doesn't mean he wasn't nervous when saving a life, specifically the life of Aion he swore to protect so that younger man lives.

He waves his wand over the large gashes across Aion's body, deciding to heal the more significant injuries. Deep red cut streaks were sporting all over Aion's limbs, slicing through his light-coloured top that was now red. "Vulnera Sanentur," he murmurs over like a chant, drawing imaginary lines over it.

Within seconds, the more profound injuries stitched themselves together, leaving nothing more than a fine thin line that bled no more. There were several other grazes but for now, he didn't have to worry about the lad bleeding out. Aion did still lose quite a lot of blood which was why his heart rate remained soft and weak, to the point Snape had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't flatlining.

Once he was done fixing the physical damage, Snape hurriedly began resuscitating Aion to get his heartbeat back to normal. That was the most challenging part, it was reviving a man who had been in the frozen waters for far too long. He wasn't even sure how much water was in Aion's lungs but did his best to extract as much as possible from his system. 

Five minutes... Ten minutes... And when the time was reaching the fifteen-minute mark, Snape started to get even more apprehensive. His muscles were tensed up and his heart was pounding so loudly and quickly against his ribcage. "Come on, Estoileon!" he mumbled under his breath when Aion's heartbeat and breath stayed the same, weak as ever.

He wasn't going to let Aion die, he couldn't. He swore an oath to Elliot and Aris to always protect the couple's children. He even made a promise to Aine too. A scoff of disbelief escaped Snape's lips as he looked at the unconscious Aion, wondering why he had to make all those stupid pledges. Yet even as he complains about it in his head about his actions and choices, he keeps going, still trying to save the Estoileon brother.

"You got to be strong for your sister, Estoileon... If she finds out that you're dead before her, you know what will happen... I'm not going to stay around and watch her rain seven hells on this Earth while you enjoy the peaceful afterlife. So you better get up now," Snape said to Aion while giving him chest compressions.

"Get up!" he bellowed, the desperation in his voice and eyes was alien even to himself. "Aine is waiting for you!"

Almost as if that were the magic words, Aion gasped back to life. He stretches his neck to inhale another breath of wintry air before his lids quivered open slightly, his forest green eyes momentarily meet the blinding Sun behind the man who was fully cloaked in black. He squints at the small flapping figure on one of the tree branches.