[ 38 ]

A shadow materializes on the terrace of the manor and a young woman appears from the thick black fog. She was no longer wearing the dazzling dress that looked like stars had glittered down on its skirt but clad in a full-black robe and boots. The black hood covered her hair and she glanced at the two men through her pearl-white mask, gold and lilac pupils penetrating through the cavities as she glared into the soul of the man on the ground. 

"Welcome back," Cyrus greeted her with a nod that she returned. "How is he?" he asks, referring to Draco who had just been escorted back home just an hour ago after having a panic attack.

"He's fine," Aine replies shortly, still keeping her sight of the third person in the room. She didn't want to give away too much information especially since they weren't alone but joined by a face they'd been excited to see all night.

Cyrus had already pinned down the other man with his wand, magical ropes binding him back to the balustrades as he writhed uselessly, baring his teeth like an untamed dog. 

"Where's the child?" she questions her friend, recalling that she had seen a young boy in Draco's memories earlier when he spotted the man before her next to him. However, Cyrus shook his head in disappointment in response; he didn't manage to get hold of him. Unfortunately, the child had already been taken back by one of Maryse's people to wherever they came from right as soon as Cyrus pursued him and captured him.

Aine sighs to herself and she crouches down to meet the man. He could see her eyes trailing from his black hair to his green eyes and down to the thick gash across his nose, scanning him intently. "Maryse?" she says with scepticism.

The man before her sneers at her. "You miss out on the 'Lord' in front of the 'Maryse', One-Eyed Reaper," he replies with a toothy grin and Aine could see a golden tooth at the back of his mouth. 

Well for starters, he was just like what Aine envisioned him to be. His arrogance matched his appearance and the cockiness mirrored someone she knew too well. 

Who would have known there were more bumptious people in her life?

Aine hummed at him correcting her. "Well, if you say so— Lord... Maryse," she ridicules with a grin behind her mask. Her eyes curled like the crescent hanging above the night skies. Without warning, she grabs his throat aggressively; sharp nails digging through his silky scarf into his neck.

Maryse let out a sharp gasp and squinted at Aine, his hands grabbed onto her wrist to prevent her from piercing his flesh any deeper. But before he could even do anything to stop her, Aine apparated away with him and Cyrus so they could speak more privately away from prying eyes.

As secrete as the balcony of the manor where the party was held, without a single soul loitering out on this chilly night when they could be enjoying and drowning in the entertainment and alcohol inside, Aine didn't want to risk it. There were still Deatheaters in the compound along with those that she wasn't quite sure where their allegiance had laid. It was still best and safer to leave the area without fearing being overheard by unwanted parties.

When the darkness around them settles and clears up, the balcony setting has transitioned to a forest. Aine releases Maryse and shoves him across the ground, casting a full-body binding charm on him so he wouldn't escape. Not that he could even if he tried with her around.

He let out a series of harsh coughs and gags as he ripped his scarf loose. His dusty green eyes widened in fear and astonishment before they narrowed slightly in confusion as she neared him. Once Aine was away from the party and alone with the man she needed to find, she tore her facade away with her wand and her mask vanished into thin air.